Centre

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Centre

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

There are no top class centres in SL but there are some promising youngsters. We need to dip into the Aussie market - a star centre is a must if we are to develop the team further.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cook123

Post by cook123 »

Exactly we have made the mistake before with having fast wingmen with a centre inside him who is bobbins, a class centre can make a poor winger look good but will never work the other way round. it is no good people going on about having this cap money free from gleeson if we aint gonna use it, stefan marsh or even josh charnley at centre are not the answer right now - marsh has done ok but that is all he regularly gets dominated when defending which is prob why madge chose to go with joel against senior last fri, as would of run all over him. he also never ever passes and gets his winger away, im not saying he wont make it but at this time he is not right for the job. i haven't seen enough of charnley at centre to comment.
Wes

Post by Wes »

On twitter martin ofiah was saying today that joel could become a sonny bill at centre. now i found this interesting because he would obviously look from a wingers perspective, but well see. some one mentioned kris whelam now i think this is a good shout however he is also a youngster so i think its not practical marsh could develop into something better hes just not ready yet if we signed whelam we are resigned to removing marsh's chance and selling him later on plus i dnt think whelam is for sale ;-) but on that note a better shout would be webster! solid in defense hard as nails and can put his winger away trouble is i doubt he is for sale either but with the dobson mason saga im sure theyd release webster to re register dobbo?? thoughts ?????????????
cook123

Post by cook123 »

i think it wont make a difference they will be able keep them all they are just waiting for a tongan passport for mason thats all then he won't count. Webster is good but i think we should be looking at better options he is very injury prone for a start. i'd like to see matai from manly he is a kiwi so would not be a prob with representive etc.
Wes

Post by Wes »

yes but the tongan passport was supposed to be days then weeks then oh ey lets de register dobbo and put him under the knife, dirty tactics from kr if you ask me i hope saints sign dobbo to teach them a lesson didnt they de register james webster for dobbo, not a policy im liking. good shout on matai only problem here i could see is wages/cap but if we could fit him in then other thing would be discipline to the rfl he could become the new lima LMAO but that would be fun to watch!
irishwarrior

Post by irishwarrior »

i was just throwing welham in there with the talk of tony clubb, though hard to know with any of the young superleague players, it would be interesting to see how some of them would improve under madge.

as for joel as SBW, that would be fantastic but i dont know if he has the hits in him, some of sonnys tackles were unreal.
Wes

Post by Wes »

too true but it was interesting listening to a wingers perspective after all they know when they want the ball and appreciate playing outside a good centre etc.
cook123

Post by cook123 »

Why would u want saints to sign hull kr's best player to make them stronger? that tongan passport will come don't worry he wouldn't be here otherwise. joel is the best option at the min i think but not sure if as good as sbw plus think both are best suited to 2nd row than centre personally as neither has the speed to match the size as what top class centres do u are right joel does try and go on the outside too much but fair play for backing himself.
Wes

Post by Wes »

because it would teach hull kr a lesson and next year saints will lose eastmond and price plus if they signed dobson yes he is good but pace he has not! at the min saints are a very slow team in terms of pace i like this they can only score within your 30 our defence is awesome for around 5 b2b sets in our 30! if saints held out and signed a half back with pace i.e swapped graham for ben barba then id be more worried . . . . method in the magners ;-)
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cook123 wrote:i think it wont make a difference they will be able keep them all they are just waiting for a tongan passport for mason thats all then he won't count. Webster is good but i think we should be looking at better options he is very injury prone for a start. i'd like to see matai from manly he is a kiwi so would not be a prob with representive etc.
Those 2 words are so full of irony! :lol: