Lockyer turns down Vikings

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Lockyer turns down Vikings

Post by josie andrews »

Australia captain set to finish career on Four Nations tour

Darren Lockyer insists he will not change his mind about retirement, despite interest from Widnes.

The Australia captain, who recently turned 34, announced last month that he would be hanging up his boots at the end of the 2011 season.

Lockyer, though, was offered the chance to finish his career in England - and not just because the Kangaroos will be touring the United Kingdom at the end of this year for the Four Nations.

Widnes were keen to sign the stand-off ahead of their return to Super League next year after being awarded a three-year licence for 2012 and beyond.

However, the legendary Brisbane Bronco has rejected the chance to enjoy a swansong season with the Vikings for family reasons.

"I didn't hear anything directly but George is friends with the Widnes owner," Lockyer told the Broncos' official website.

"Nothing has changed with my situation. Our son is nearly one, we're established in Brisbane and I wouldn't like to travel with a little one."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 86,00.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan