Michael Maguire To Leave Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Michael Maguire To Leave Wigan

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:Fair enough Dave, you are entitled to your opinion. And if the club was bound by your ethics, no doubt the entire squad would be teetotal non smokers who attended church every day and twice on Sundays!
I don't give a stuff whether they to church or not.
But real life ain't like that. You are dealt the cards and the trick is all about how you play them.
I have no idea what you mean by that with reference to this situation.
And I still say we have a winning hand if we play it right. You would undoubtedly fold and leave the table!
You think? It depends what happens next. Are we to endure months of speculation as to who is the next coach? If its announced to be Wane won't Madge's position be a bit superfluous?
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Good luck to him, and thanks for the memories
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

yoda warrior wrote:He only ever had a 2 year deal.
So why when he was signed did the club announce it was for three and even go to lengths of spelling out each year?

Where is your proof?
Most of us had never heard of him before he came here so i imagine the option clause was written in to protect the club anyway. There are very few coaching jobs available in RL so if you're in demand you need to get your next sorted asap. Anyone thinking his mind won't be on the job for the rest of the year is very wrong i think.
What you imagine and what the official club statement was are two very different things aren't they?
NathanCroucher

Post by NathanCroucher »

He will leave with his head held high, he will always be a legend in these parts, people should remember that.
Lovers Come & Go But I Will Always Have My Wigan Rugby.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

DaveO wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:Fair enough Dave, you are entitled to your opinion. And if the club was bound by your ethics, no doubt the entire squad would be teetotal non smokers who attended church every day and twice on Sundays!
I don't give a stuff whether they to church or not.
But real life ain't like that. You are dealt the cards and the trick is all about how you play them.
I have no idea what you mean by that with reference to this situation.
And I still say we have a winning hand if we play it right. You would undoubtedly fold and leave the table!
You think? It depends what happens next. Are we to endure months of speculation as to who is the next coach? If its announced to be Wane won't Madge's position be a bit superfluous?
Would you prefer another 5 months of silence and then he leaves? most people have been annoyed at the way the club handled the gleeson saga etc so now they come out and end speculation it's wrong as well? I do think with the relentless stories in the aussie press it's forced the clubs hand a bit but i've no problem with it at all. They won't announce the new coach until the end of the season IMO
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Perhaps we should forget any player/coach from the southern hemisphere from now on ?

Otherwise, just accept the fact of life, that sooner or later, they are going back home, end of.

Ask yourself, if you were away 12,000miles from home, & got a huge job offer with a lucrative contract thrust into your face by Russell Crowe, despite all that, you'd stay?

IMO he's a professional & will continue to do his 100% best for the team this year - he wouldn't want to damage his credentials back in the NRL by quitting his position, mentally. Presumably, he'd want to go out on a high.
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

IL reading the offical statement and answering press questions. he names Shaun Wane as favourite

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 102229.stm
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

AdamMac wrote: Would you prefer another 5 months of silence and then he leaves? most people have been annoyed at the way the club handled the gleeson saga etc so now they come out and end speculation it's wrong as well? I do think with the relentless stories in the aussie press it's forced the clubs hand a bit but i've no problem with it at all. They won't announce the new coach until the end of the season IMO
No I am pointing out whatever you do you can't win. If he announced Wane tomorrow Madge's position seems superfluous. If he doesn't it is speculation from now until he does.

The last coach to do what Madge has done was Raper and he was shown the door and I think that was for the best.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

THE 18th Man wrote:IL reading the offical statement and answering press questions. he names Shaun Wane as favourite

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 102229.stm
He also says we would have liked Madge for three year and possibly longer. It was clearly never in IL's plans he left after two years. Madge asked to go early and IL has let him. No options or get outs from the way IL speaks.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Shaun Wayne must take over as coach he has the Wigan Rugby league club etched in his body .He will not be scared of playing the young lads wheras someone else coming into the club will possibly bring his own players stifling the flow of the talent that is already here.Thanks Madge for last season and hopefully this season;s silverware.