Reduce the interchange ?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Reduce the interchange ?

Post by cpwigan »

Typically, Australia has some new discussion programmes about RL. One such programme is 'One week At A Time' which IMO is outstanding.

Ricky Stuart was discussing the Interchange and passionately spoke about the need to see fatigue and that in his opinion too many interchanges was allowing fresh bulldozers an opportunity to bash the small guys and the 80 minute players. Reducing the interchange would reduce injuries but also make the game a better spectacle.

Stuart argued reduce the Interchange to 6 with a caveat, a Toyota Cup player (In the NRL) an U18/U20 would sit on the bench and having made your 6 changes, if an injury occured that youngster would get 5/10 minutes of first grade experience and keep the team at 13.
deancartwright1990

Re: Reduce the interchange ?

Post by deancartwright1990 »

i agree the players are getting bigger and stronger less interchanges may stop the high amount of injuries each team has had like 4 5 players out at once would be good and have more open rugby
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

With the emphasis on player development, I've sometimes wondered if there would be any mileage on 'legalising' the compulsory inclusion of a different young player on the bench with a minimum amount of game time. To discuss-

Pros - New players get blooded and exposure.

- All teams are equalled weakened.

Cons - Teams would play it and devise ways to dump young players on the wing with 10 minutes to go.

- All teams would be equally weakened and with some of the rubbish games we have, I'm not sure I'd want to see weaker games.

I must admit watching Saints hammer Wakefield tonight, has made me question how much I'm 'loving my footie' at the moment.

:(
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

8 or 9 club SL, WR. We do not have enough players for 14 SL clubs. When I hear talk of 16 I want to vomit.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

I don't understand how the theory that fewer clubs with bigger squads will improve the level of play.
The players will be the same players, just concentrated in fewer clubs, surely giving each player less game time?
As for interchanges, why do we follow blindly everything the Aussies do?
We are playing nto their hands by allowing them to dictate every aspect of our game.
Soon they will introduce a rule making it illegal to tackle an Australian whilst he is carrying the ball, or only allowng two points for a Northern hemisphere try.
Tell em to go play with a bandicoot and make every competition play international rules, one ref, get over it.
Oh, and while we're at it, stop letting them decide who is going to ref the games.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

cpwigan wrote:Typically, Australia has some new discussion programmes about RL. One such programme is 'One week At A Time' which IMO is outstanding.

Ricky Stuart was discussing the Interchange and passionately spoke about the need to see fatigue and that in his opinion too many interchanges was allowing fresh bulldozers an opportunity to bash the small guys and the 80 minute players. Reducing the interchange would reduce injuries but also make the game a better spectacle.

Stuart argued reduce the Interchange to 6 with a caveat, a Toyota Cup player (In the NRL) an U18/U20 would sit on the bench and having made your 6 changes, if an injury occured that youngster would get 5/10 minutes of first grade experience and keep the team at 13.
Agree.

It's been my arguement for YEARS!!

Attrition has all but left the game.

2 subs allowing 4 substitutions was when the game was at its best and the speccies could truly follow it.

Get rid of squad numbers to and name a thirteen on match days.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Doveoverdave wrote: Get rid of squad numbers to and name a thirteen on match days.
That will never happen.
Marketing means that players names on shirts sell.
For this to happen they have to have squad numbers
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09