Madge article

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Madge article

Post by cpwigan »

Since when has Madge ever spoken openly to the press etc. The information I give you comes from inside Wigan RLFC. Madge follows the no comment line so much of the time. He is happy simply doing the job of coaching. One of the first things he did was appoint a player manager because he focuses upon coaching.

The nan is anything but a mercenary and you are disingenious throwing the slur at him.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Since when has Madge ever spoken openly to the press etc. The information I give you comes from inside Wigan RLFC. Madge follows the no comment line so much of the time. He is happy simply doing the job of coaching. One of the first things he did was appoint a player manager because he focuses upon coaching.

The nan is anything but a mercenary and you are disingenious throwing the slur at him.
And how many bits of information from "inside the club" are proved right and how many wrong and even if these things come to pass how do we now its not pure chance events concur with the rumour started by those in the know? It's a bit poor form wise anyway for whoever your source is to be leaking this kind of thing anyway when Madge "doesn't speak openly to the press".

The only things the vast majority of us have to go on are what the club and those involved say and do publicly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with forming an opinion based on the facts as presented to us and the only facts on the table is Madge was offered the Souths job and asked to be released early to take it. He did not ask to be released for personal reasons with no job offer like Piggy.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Can we not wait until we see what silverware is on the table in October before we sentence him to be hung, drawn and quartered?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Since when has Madge ever spoken openly to the press etc. The information I give you comes from inside Wigan RLFC. Madge follows the no comment line so much of the time. He is happy simply doing the job of coaching. One of the first things he did was appoint a player manager because he focuses upon coaching.

And how many bits of information from "inside the club" are proved right and how many wrong and even if these things come to pass how do we now its not pure chance events concur with the rumour started by those in the know? It's a bit poor form wise anyway for whoever your source is to be leaking this kind of thing anyway when Madge "doesn't speak openly to the press".

The only things the vast majority of us have to go on are what the club and those involved say and do publicly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with forming an opinion based on the facts as presented to us and the only facts on the table is Madge was offered the Souths job and asked to be released early to take it. He did not ask to be released for personal reasons with no job offer like Piggy.

Dave you are so hypocritical. The man is being quoted and saying things and YET you ignore what he says, rewrite world history and then start saying let's deal in fact. Well if we dealt with fact on this subject your posts would be either deleted or reduced in size by 99%.

The only reason I tell people things is to avoid will derogatory viewpoints. The fact are on the Tuesday, Madge had not decided he was going to leave. Madge had turned down previous offers to leave. 48 hours before the announcement, Madge decided to leave. Madge losing his father hurt the man very deeply. His wife not feeling 100% and 3 young children tipped the balance for Souths. Hardly the horrendous mercenary insult you trade is it. Heavens above he even wants to return when his children are older.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote: Dave you are so hypocritical. The man is being quoted and saying things and YET you ignore what he says, rewrite world history and then start saying let's deal in fact. Well if we dealt with fact on this subject your posts would be either deleted or reduced in size by 99%.
Just what is he being quoted as saying that I have ignored? Is it not a fact he only asked to be released from his contract after securing the job at Souths? That is surely THE pertinent fact and without that job offer I am sure he would be Wigan coach next year.
The only reason I tell people things is to avoid will derogatory viewpoints. The fact are on the Tuesday, Madge had not decided he was going to leave. Madge had turned down previous offers to leave. 48 hours before the announcement, Madge decided to leave. Madge losing his father hurt the man very deeply. His wife not feeling 100% and 3 young children tipped the balance for Souths. Hardly the horrendous mercenary insult you trade is it. Heavens above he even wants to return when his children are older.
FYI my father passed away on 15h March 2011. My mother passed away 7th April 2010. I think that is the first time I have mentioned either of these events on these forums. Life goes on and I have had to deal with this as we all do at some point. Having to do so does not have me looking for another job or using it as an excuse for reneging on commitments (which Madge has not done which is why I maintain any such events are not the significant factor here). The point being I am sure it did affect him but I simply cannot see the link and maintain sad though this event undoubtedly was, the thing that got Madge asking to be released was the offer of a job. Other events can't have been big enough to resign and go home or he would not have waited until the South's job finally became available.

You make it sound as if the job offer was secondary to all else. I think that is far form the case based on what he has said. The alternative is he would rather be here, see his contract out and not coach Souths right now but is going home for other reasons. I am sure Souths would welcome such a reluctant new coach who sees them as nothing more than a convenient way to go home.

He has taken the Souths job because he wants it for what it is.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

DaveO passes the floor onto cpwigan.
cpwigan, how do you respond?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Dave you are so hypocritical. The man is being quoted and saying things and YET you ignore what he says, rewrite world history and then start saying let's deal in fact. Well if we dealt with fact on this subject your posts would be either deleted or reduced in size by 99%.
Just what is he being quoted as saying that I have ignored? Is it not a fact he only asked to be released from his contract after securing the job at Souths? That is surely THE pertinent fact and without that job offer I am sure he would be Wigan coach next year.
FYI my father passed away on 15h March 2011. My mother passed away 7th April 2010. I think that is the first time I have mentioned either of these events on these forums. Life goes on and I have had to deal with this as we all do at some point. Having to do so does not have me looking for another job or using it as an excuse for reneging on commitments (which Madge has not done which is why I maintain any such events are not the significant factor here). The point being I am sure it did affect him but I simply cannot see the link and maintain sad though this event undoubtedly was, the thing that got Madge asking to be released was the offer of a job. Other events can't have been big enough to resign and go home or he would not have waited until the South's job finally became available.

You make it sound as if the job offer was secondary to all else. I think that is far form the case based on what he has said. The alternative is he would rather be here, see his contract out and not coach Souths right now but is going home for other reasons. I am sure Souths would welcome such a reluctant new coach who sees them as nothing more than a convenient way to go home.

He has taken the Souths job because he wants it for what it is.
Dave that is you. You are one person. Everybody is different. You are also living in the country of your birth. You have your family, your family support system. We are talking about a man with very young children and a wife not in perfect health in a foreign country the other side of the world.

My father died 6 years ago. 8 years ago I resigned from a job I had done for a decade. I had spent a decade being a workaholic and I wanted to spend some time with my father. I never regret it whatsoever. I could not offer what I had offered for 10 years. It really was that simple for me. I eventually did. My decision was different from yours, just as everybody elses will differ. I can tell you this had I lived in another country I would have returned to my birth country first choice. The surviving parent would have been a huge pull. He won't mind me mentioning but GP suffered an awful tragedy last year. He moved from Hull to Leeds to be close to his family and the support network they provide. For that man Hull may as well been another continent compared to Leeds.

The mother in law died 5 weeks ago. I hadnt been to a match in weeks. I took my father in law to his first ever RL match on Good Friday. I took the Mrs too. Oh my own mother well I took her for tests last week, heart failure etc. Nothing really matters than family. I use rugby to take my mind of things. I work for children's futures but when my own family are not happy or well then my best suffers and I am torn as I want to do my best for the children I serve.

Life is not black and white. Some horrible shit happens but to accuse a workaholic like Madge of being a mercenary is incredulous. It is so crass it beggars belief.

The man has served his 2 year contract. His children are very young, his wife is not enjoying the best of time and the supportiing family are the other side of the world. hilst here he has transformed a once great club into a great club again. Can anybody ask anymore. Can we be so ridiculously selfish to label the man a mercenary after turning 2 jobs down and being courted by a similarly great club as our and at the same time make his family life far far better. Is anything more important than family.

I think not!
endoman

Post by endoman »

Excellent post CP, family beats work every time,
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

Kittwazzer wrote:Can we not wait until we see what silverware is on the table in October before we sentence him to be hung, drawn and quartered?
:lol:
Never let what 'might happen' get in the way of a good 'debate' right :D

Though I guess even if Wigan ends the season with the Challenge cup & repeat SL trophy it will probably be............
If he'd completed his contract we might have done it again :roll:

I don't envy him the task at South's.
A team with lots of history but a HUGE under achieving abundance of talent,but then..........
That was the 'challenge' for him at Wigan wasn't it ?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

bourbon_rat wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:Can we not wait until we see what silverware is on the table in October before we sentence him to be hung, drawn and quartered?
:lol:
Never let what 'might happen' get in the way of a good 'debate' right :D

Though I guess even if Wigan ends the season with the Challenge cup & repeat SL trophy it will probably be............
If he'd completed his contract we might have done it again :roll:

I don't envy him the task at South's.
A team with lots of history but a HUGE under achieving abundance of talent,but then..........
That was the 'challenge' for him at Wigan wasn't it ?
Yes it was and he rose to the challenge better than any new coach I have seen at Wigan in the 40 years I have been following them! :lol: