Controlled restarts.

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
gpartin

Controlled restarts.

Post by gpartin »

During today's game after Coley had knocked on over the line (Ipresume) we celebrated as if we had scored, as you do and the ref immediately stopped the clock and spoke to the ingoal judge. The instant the ref disallowed the try Wakefield flung the ball to the 20 metre line and took a quick tap which luckily we reacted to. It seemed really unfair to me because had there been a video ref it'd have been shown a few times on the big screen, the players would have known the try wasn't going to be given and would have had time to line up in defence. How can they be expected to go and defend on the 30m line rather than celebrate a try just in case the ref disallows it and the opposition take a quick tap and score at the other end. What exactly is the rule for controlled restarts in this situation?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

exile in Tiger country

Re: Controlled restarts.

Post by exile in Tiger country »

I thought the ref had to give the mark, same as with a penalty?
I have seen them brought back because the ref and the defending team were not on the 30M line.
Personally I think the ball should be placed on the 20M line by the ref and picked up by the team playing the ball and tapped/kicked from there.
That would give consistency and a properly controlled restart.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09