Fans Forum

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AdamMac

Re: Fans Forum

Post by AdamMac »

cpwigan wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
Kiwiseddon wrote:

I really think that this is the way it should be. I've thought for a long time that the cap is too strict and i actually think that this is the perfect loophole to loosen it. There won't be that many players doing 10 years for a single club and certainly not many of them as good a player as Lockers in terms of commanding a high wage.
I can only think of Sinfield who may be in a similar position. Senior and Wellens are probably off-cap but well past their 'best before' date!
Burrow, McGuire, JJB ?

Roby at Saints eventually

Great move by the RFL
Briers, Clarke, Wood - Warrington. We've been the opposition enough times for their testimonials...
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kiwiseddon wrote:
DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Eight years 50% of earnings to be included in the cap, Ten years zero %. This was part of negotiations by Wigan with the RFL to manage & make the salary cap work better for the clubs.
I think this is great but do the RFL know what they have agreed to? Lockers is relatively young and at the peak of his career so can still command a high wage I would have thought. So for ease of reckoning lets say he earns a top players wage of £160K. That would mean Wigan could spend £1.76m on the wages compared to clubs with no such 10 year veterans who could only spend £1.6m. It's a 10% increase on our cap!

I really think that this is the way it should be. I've thought for a long time that the cap is too strict and i actually think that this is the perfect loophole to loosen it. There won't be that many players doing 10 years for a single club and certainly not many of them as good a player as Lockers in terms of commanding a high wage. Provided that the excess cash isn't blown on overrated Aussies I see no problem with it. IL made it clear that he wants to even it out across the squad and I think the bonus for the younger players setting out in RL who can now actually make a living out of the game is invaluable.
Read in RL fans its limited to £100K dispensation. Still that is an effective cap of £1.7m v £1.6m
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Hansen I think may be the next person to benefit from the 10 year rule I think he's on 6 years with us now.

Would Hock count as he started in 2003(ish?) or would it be nul and void for him?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: no chance of new signings in centre unless some one world class comes up, marsh needs to be given a chance but expects that next year

Marsh will be given a chance but I bet KP is ahead of him in the pecking order next year!
Hasn't Marsh already been given a chance this year?

I don't "buy" into playing a second rower and an inexperienced (and some might say very ordinary) centre as our first choice centres for next year, especially when Marsh looked so ordinary playing alongside an experienced player in Carmont. How would Marsh look playing alongside someone with as much centre nous as himself?

I do agree with your earlier point that Wigan MUST sign quality players as a when they become available. To maintain an average wage spread across an entire squad breeds mediocrity in team sport as you rely totally on player loyalty (ten years in fact) for the remuneration that other clubs are apparently prepared to offer as and when a player becomes available.

Class players will always demand the most money (or their agents will)
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I am not saying he (Marsh) or anybody else will be the answer but young players do often get better and better with experience either via lease/loan or first team. So, sometimes we have to give players a chance.

George Carmont was unwanted in the NRL and seemingly going out of RL. Centre is a difficult position to master IMO and maybe we just have to be patient.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

cherry.pie wrote:
butt monkey wrote:I don't "buy" into playing a second rower and an inexperienced (and some might say very ordinary) centre as our first choice centres for next year, especially when Marsh looked so ordinary playing alongside an experienced player in Carmont. How would Marsh look playing alongside someone with as much centre nous as himself?
I don't understand this bit. He's not really been playing alongside Carmont since both are in the centres, and playing in the same side as an experienced centre would probably make it harder to stand out. If he played in the same side as another centre with little experience he'd probably look OK in comparison.
This is the bit of your point I don't understand. My point is not about which of the Wigan centres looks best alongside one another, but when paired up as opponents to more experienced/quality centre partnerships

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

cherry.pie wrote:Marsh definitely has potential and some players will take more time to reach a good level than others. We certainly haven't suffered that much with Marsh in the centres and he's at the very least got his defence sorted out during his more recent Super League appearances.
Personally I think Marsh will find himself "on the outer" if it is understood that Joel is in Wigan's long term frame as a centre. His defence may be ok, but the remaining parts of his game need major improvement before he could be considered a suitable replacement.

I accept CPWigan's point that he would need to be loaned out for more experience (and to prove like Charnley) that he can handle such an important position

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

With Joel, I presume if the coach decides he will play centre then they will adjust his conditioning regime from that of a forward and therefore make him faster/more agile in 2012 ? If he can add some more pace (never easy but you can add a little) and develop his attack from a centre perspective then Wigan/England would have a centre with the physique to compete with Aus/NZ centres.

The jury is still out for me but often time eases fears. I now think of Sam as a FB rather than a half back, something I never thought I would do.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

The impression I got from the Forum we are now being run professionaly from board level to player level.What Il said 3 years ago is now coming into fruition and from wahat he said last night the forward planning is well in progress.
HGWarrior

Post by HGWarrior »

jaws1 wrote:Did I hear correctly about the salary cap after 8 years of service only 50 percent of a players wage counts on the SC and after 10 years zero.
I thought he said that the longest serving British player had 50% off the salary cap and and for 10 years service 50% off.
The future's bright

The future's Cherry & White!!!!!