Betting Scandal

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Kittwazzer

Betting Scandal

Post by Kittwazzer »

http://www.superleaguefans.com/rugby-le ... andal.html
Today The Sun has revealed how/ rugby league's cheats deliberately fix matches to pull off massive betting coups.

The Sun claims that, an undercover SunSport investigation has discovered:

- How games are fixed.
- How the captain of Doncaster bet against his own side to lose by at least 38 points to Wakefield Wildcats in the Challenge Cup on Sunday.
- How he had previously laid out £600 on Doncaster to lose another match.
- How a top rugby league official persuaded him to try and lose a game.
- How players pull tricks to swing results.

Their investigation centres on Doncaster skipper Shaun Leaf, who last Friday placed £200 on Wakefield to beat his own Doncaster side at odds of 10-11. It was a handicap bet which meant Doncaster had to lose by 38 points or more.

What We Think...
Whilst Leaf does appear to have been caught red-handed by The Sun, I don't really agree on The Sun's headline "Rugby League’s betting scandal", This can hardly speak for the majority of Rugby League clubs and illegal betting occurs across most sports.

It feels as though The Sun are being rather general with their headline, thinking they have "uncovered" something bigger than they actually have, when in fact the outline of the story is that a semi professional rugby player is trying to make some more money, although we understand its illegal, this would be very different and have a wider impact if a Super League player was involved ... You can read the full riveting investigation @ the source link below.

Source: TheSun.co.uk
Nezza Faz

Re: Betting Scandal

Post by Nezza Faz »

I believe the guy didn't even play in this game - he was out injured !

Makes you wonder if some of these papers have an issue with Rugby League, after all how often do they ever headline anything positive about our game ?

This story smacks of mischief-making by the 'sun'.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Nezza Faz wrote:I believe the guy didn't even play in this game - he was out injured !
Broken thumb I think
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wes

Post by Wes »

I know £200 is a lot of money but its hardly a massive betting coup for the Sun is it!

The recent betting scandal in the NRL was a coup this is a Sunday fun punt! Out of interest I wander how much the Sun spent on uncovering and printing this huge story??? I bet it was more than his winnings!
cook123

Post by cook123 »

presuming he won the bet? im not sure on the score of that game he would of won £181.82