We missed Gaz Hock

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

We missed Gaz Hock

Post by cpwigan »

If ever a game showed the value Hock will bring it was the Bulls game. Great interview with Hock in one of the RL Monday Weekly's today.
Wes

Re: We missed Gaz Hock

Post by Wes »

True, I think he would have given us an extra dimension as well as more punch in the forwards. Lee Mossop is turning into an excellent prop, very solid and possibly the natural replacement for Coley when he retires, and Joel is doing very well in the centres.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

:eusa15:
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Whilst I agree about Mossop at prop (what great forward he is turning out to be now), not quite so sure Joel gives Wigan that "cutting edge" from centre position that we should have
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Wes

Post by Wes »

Still learning and early days BM, I would happily give him the rest of the season there and assess wether to leave hime there or put him back in the 2nd row and fill the void with someone else.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

butt monkey wrote:Whilst I agree about Mossop at prop (what great forward he is turning out to be now), not quite so sure Joel gives Wigan that "cutting edge" from centre position that we should have
The Bulls was one match where I thought if only Joel was running in the pack hence the Hock thread. I see Mossop as an out and out AND tremendous prop. I do think we lack a line breaking/offloading back rower though. I cannot wait for Hock to return.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Whilst I agree Joel is one of the leagues best 2nd rowers he is filling the void we have in the centres and could quite easily become one of the leagues best centres, when he first started filling in at centre he was having shocking games, now he is putting in really solid performances so if he can continue to grow and adjust there he could become prolific at punching through the line and when Hock is eligible to play he could take over Joels spot in the back row. It could be an exciting balance haha imagine Hock running out wide making a half break with Joel in support, that would be frightening for any defence.

BUT lets see if he can keep progressing and if Hock can pick up where he left off, Ill not get ahead of steam just yet.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

If Carmont and Coley are not replaced with experienced Players then i feel we will struggle next season, simply plugging the gaps with up and coming kids will not work, and as for Hock, he has been out of the game for 2 years, nobody knows what he is going to play like when he's back in the team, i feel some fans are over egging the cake re. Hock, just hope there won't be many disappointments if it doesn't work out.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Meds you dont go bad over night it may take a few month to get back into things but no doubt he will, if anything his body hasnt been in battles every week in some sense the break may have done him more good than harm.

I dont think those 2 changes are plugging gaps if Joel continues to progress and becomes a good centre then thats fine if he doesnt progress at the end of the season buy a centre, its simple but dont overlook what we have first as some of our kids are the best in the league.

As for Coley, Mossop and Preccy are more than adequate replacements.

Imagine if we replaced Barrett with and or Tim Smith with another Aussie instead of giving that kid Sam Tomkins a chance.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think we need to back youngsters far more in this country. Saints are not really struggling and gaining a lot from having to play youngsters. Plenty experience at Wigan too.