Re: Shaun Wane - Give him a chance

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

The way Lenagan keeps saying that Wane is favourite for the job leads me to believe that Wane is going to be offered it, if indeed he hasnt already. I simply dont think that Lenegan would be saying such things if it was not the case when on other events he has been ultra cautious with what he says.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The RL weekly today suggest Edwards is on his way from Wasps. I cannot see Edwards working with Dean Ryan the new CEO and Ryan wants Greening as his coach.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 500742.stm

Ideally I would give Waney a 3 year contract, appoint Giz as his assistant but with periods of leave built in to go to Aus to work with / observe Wayne Bennett etc.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:The RL weekly today suggest Edwards is on his way from Wasps. I cannot see Edwards working with Dean Ryan the new CEO and Ryan wants Greening as his coach.

Ideally I would give Waney a 3 year contract, appoint Giz as his assistant but with periods of leave built in to go to Aus to work with / observe Wayne Bennett etc.
Edwards has already denied it and in any case appointing him as assistant would lead to never ending speculation as to when he was going to replace Wane.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Good point Dave, CP do you think Edwards would work as Waney's assistant, if so completely agree with going to Aus for spells.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

29wes28 wrote:Good point Dave, CP do you think Edwards would work as Waney's assistant, if so completely agree with going to Aus for spells.
Edwards was quoted in the Observer when first asked that he thought Waney should be the next coach and that if he returned it would be as his assistant.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:The RL weekly today suggest Edwards is on his way from Wasps. I cannot see Edwards working with Dean Ryan the new CEO and Ryan wants Greening as his coach.

Edwards has already denied it and in any case appointing him as assistant would lead to never ending speculation as to when he was going to replace Wane.
Unfortunately people deny things all the time and sometimes circumstances/choices are taken out of their hands. My understanding was Wane would be the next Wigan coach with the only negative argument being he was too close to the players (everybody/every appointment has pros/cons). Names mentioned as assistant have been alarming. Paul Sculthorpe for example!!

However, contrast St George; Bennett announced he is leaving, within days his assistant is announced as the new coach. Wigan? Many of us knew Noble was on his way, many of us knew Feka was on his way a VERY LONG TIME before it was ever announced and yet we had the media pantomine with IL that went on and on and on. Look at yesterday, IL did not really confirm or deny anything. He hedged his bets with ever sentence; Wane favourite, succession BUT maybe a change would be good; one hopes Edwards coaches Wigan one day BUT I haven't spoken to him in 10? days.

Wasps are changing. A new CEO, a very difficult man IMO who favours an ex player. The ex player leaves his present job. Maybe Shaun Edwards would want to stay but not have the choice. Perhaps an assistant role for 3 years would suit until his son reaches 16+?

I just fear if Waney is our next coach why not announce it and yesterday reminded me of how we played before Madge made his announcement.
StarAndy

Post by StarAndy »

CP, I may stand to be corrected but didnt IL say he hadnt spoke to S/Edwards in 10 weeks not 10 days?

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

StarAndy wrote:CP, I may stand to be corrected but didnt IL say he hadnt spoke to S/Edwards in 10 weeks not 10 days?
You may well be right Andy. I honestly cannot remember
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote: Unfortunately people deny things all the time and sometimes circumstances/choices are taken out of their hands.
While there are changes going on at Wasps I don't think you can dismiss the quotes Edwards makers here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_u ... 467766.stm

which were published a mere three days ago. I would be astonished if the new director of rugby at Wasps walked in the door and sacked Edwards on the spot after Edwards just signed a new two year deal there. I think Edwards will still be at Wasps when Wigan appoint the new coach and assistant.
My understanding was Wane would be the next Wigan coach with the only negative argument being he was too close to the players (everybody/every appointment has pros/cons). Names mentioned as assistant have been alarming. Paul Sculthorpe for example!!
I saw the Scunthorpe one mentioned somewhere as well but I really do think the club would be asking for trouble if it appointed Edwards as assistant even if Edwards himself was happy to be assistant. As I said there would be never ending speculation as to when he would take Wane's job and you just watch if we had a patch of bad form under Wane as many fans wold clamour for Edwards to take over.
However, contrast St George; Bennett announced he is leaving, within days his assistant is announced as the new coach. Wigan? Many of us knew Noble was on his way, many of us knew Feka was on his way a VERY LONG TIME before it was ever announced and yet we had the media pantomine with IL that went on and on and on. Look at yesterday, IL did not really confirm or deny anything. He hedged his bets with ever sentence; Wane favourite, succession BUT maybe a change would be good; one hopes Edwards coaches Wigan one day BUT I haven't spoken to him in 10? days.
I think IL's publicity and announcements leave something to be desired anyway and when I saw that quote from him about Edwards being coach one day I thought that was an off guard remark that while it didn't exactly undermine whoever was to be the new coach it was a bit of an odd thing to say when you are about to appoint someone else to the job.

If IL has decided Wane isn't for the job he should say so because while I don't think Edwards is in the frame the longer it goes on the longer it looks like it will be Wane but only if IL can't find anyone better and that is not the right way to go about it IMO.
I just fear if Waney is our next coach why not announce it and yesterday reminded me of how we played before Madge made his announcement.
Because IL is poor at publicity? The club needs to sort it out anyway so whoever it is can plan for 2012.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Some potentially interesting points re Edwards. His son is at a boarding school which negates needing to be on the doorstep 24/7 as a father, an assistant role might offer more flexibility to spend time as/when required. Edwards has been at Wasps for 6 years as head coach which is a long time. wasps form was very poor last season, even a promoted team did better. Dean Ryan is a head the ball. I cannot see Ryan and Edwards working well together. Edwards Snrs are not getting any younger, maybe father and mother offer a pull too. The speculation if form dipped is inevitable but it might make Waney do even better re pressure.

IL - Speculation. Totally agree. Awful.