Sam Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Re: Sam Tomkins

Post by Wes »

Firstly I agree with players trying to dislodge the ball as a last resort to save their team 4-6 points, motivationally its as good as scoring.

Now BikeHarry I do not think coming in from the side you can hit the ball swinging your arm down it had to be laterally from where he was to dislodge the ball.

Now IMO Raynor was not interested in dislodging the ball, he went in with intent and malice.

The key difference in players going in to dislodge the ball and players going in with intent is the hand! If you want to dislodge the ball you go in with an open hand that way you push the ball out but if you cant you use your hand to try and turn the player onto their back in doing so holding the ball up! Going in with intent you clench your fist and exert your arm with force into the head of the player now IMO Mr Raynor's timing was to perfection because that is what he intended to do.

With regards to everyones comments regarding the RFL, there is more chance of Joel being banned for disrespectfully mouthing off at the ref (which he did) than Raynor getting punished!

weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

To be honest I thought he'd broke his neck the way he landed. His eyes were wide open and he just didn't move. Frightening.

I don't think Raynor has form for being dirty like that, but the red was fair. Mick Potter needs to get on with it and shut up moaning.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Maybe Raynor was only trying to make Sam drop the ball, and what better way than to punch someone in the face when they are running at full speed.

The thing was that neither ref thought it deserved a penalty, so if Sam had dropped it would a penalty try have been given.

And Potter was spot on, it was the turning point. Wigan lost they're most influential player, the other players lost focus as they were concerned about Sam, where as Bradford got the boost as they saw Sam leave the pitch and they rallied together as they were down to 12.

My worry is that most other teams saw how we struggled when we lost Sam and may now look to take him out of the game early on. Would be no suprise if Smith sent Morley or Carvel after him, knowing Warrington are unable to have someone sent off.

The RL should make an example of the fact that a young player should not have to worry about scoring a try without being hit, where as they will most likely not want to stop players effort at trying to stop a try and therefore let him off lightly.
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

A few days ago I made a comment on here about the hatred of some Aints so called supporters concerning Shaun Edwards. I've just had a look on Redvee.com and the fact that there are people who are prepared to write the drivel they do about Sams try and k.o. is alarming. Some of their supporters do seem unstable if seeing an incident like that gives them a thrill. Where are the mods????
Second Row

Post by Second Row »

'The Bulls winger appeared to be aiming to dislodge the ball.......'
RFL match report comments ,must be just us that have got it wrong !!!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

bikerharry wrote:Would it matter then if Raynor had not intended to hurt him. He was still doing something he shouldn't have been doing, and the punishment should reflect that, but I doubt my sentiments will be reflected by the RFL.
I agree he needs punishment beyond the sending off so he doesn't think he can try the same trick again. If every player who didn't "intentionally" take out an opponent illegally was dealt with as leniently as Potter seems to think is justified for Raynor then it would be open season on all players going in for a try like that. Swing your arm and hope it knock the ball out but hey, if I knock the player out instead, no big deal.
As a side note, I find it interesting that Potter sites the incident as a turning point for Bradford in the game. I think Madge could probably argue the loss of one of our side's most influential players and major re-shuffle to the team wasn't in his game plan either!
I thought exactly the same thing.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

RL as dictated to by the RFL is so full of double standard if it vindicates Raynor. The RFL quite happily attack tackles around the lower limbs event to the point of saying whether intent existed. Nobody IMO can ever determine intent bar n educated guess. Yet, a plasyer attacks the head of an opponent with a clenched fist and they seem to be looking for excuses.
Wes

Post by Wes »

http://wiganwarriors.com/WContent.aspx?id=6010&type=1 Penny for Raynors thoughts.

Wow this pic is intense!
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

it was a punch to the head and if Ganson hadn't of sent raynor off i think Joel would have killed him next time he xcarried the ball. Cheat shot Raynor ,maybe you should stick to dodgey Dvd's.
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

Wesstand i thought exactly the same thing about Sam..in fact i was holding my breath because he looked dead! i've already stated that on another post.. i know it sounds a bit over the top but it was an awful moment i dont believe for one minute it was deliberate,but it was horrible to see the end result