Re: BBC/Challenge Cup

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

i dont mind Claire Balding's presenting of the CC and i think Dave Woods does a good job of calling the action but apart from that BBC is very weak when it comes to good value tv for Rugby League, we all see it advertised the SL show on at different times every sunday and if you want a repeat watch it at 4am, ESPN had coverage of the FA Cup Final and did a whole day of build up and post match reaction, if ESPN got the rights to the CC and did half of the coverage they did for the FA Cup Final then i would be delighted if they go the rights. i know we all want RL to get exposure on national tv but people are going to be put off by the way BBC showcase it anyway
Wes

Post by Wes »

Wow suprised about the sticking up for Clare Balding, Anyone remember a couple of years ago when she was talking to Paul Sculthorpe and she said something like "I feel sorry for the players it must get so hot in them scrums" Scully looked at her like what are you on lol, the beeb need to sell it better IMO and have a better team for it but I can understand why they do what they do.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Unfortunately we need the Beeb or ITV.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Clare is trying and it's good to see. Problem is there are a lack of rugby league presenters on the beeb and at least she's trying and getting more informative over these years.

John Quear has to go... Problem is though, lack of professional commentary in the BBC ranks. French and Woods - thats it... and Frenchy won't be round professionally much longer will he? Shows a lack of media investment for our sport
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

Yes Nathan thats the one he was so enthusiastic, only downside he was a Saints fan... Oh well, can't have everything
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cherry.pie wrote:Clare Balding is probably the best part of the BBC coverage! As others have already said she's an RL convert and she's genuinely enthusiastic about the game.As a presenter she's very good because she doesn't give her input she merely asks the questions of the guests. She's well spoken, doesn't talk in silly cliches and is a recognisable face supporting rugby league.
She's also a hell of a lot better than Eddie Hemmings!

Dave Woods is the best commentator but he's still got a bit to learn when it comes to the game. It's obvious that he's an experienced commentator though.

The problem tends to lie with the others. Jonathan Davies once had good insight into the game but now he's out of touch. Ray French is a terrible commentator and can't even get players names correct. John Kear embarrassed himself with similar mistakes that you wouldn't expect from someone directly involved with the game.
Brian Noble is pretty good in that role. He's much better on the TV than he is in a coaching role.

The sport of rugby league could do with finding a good young commentator who isn't out of touch with the game like Eddie, Stevo, French and Davies, has genuinely good insights and knows what they're talking about and can describe the games like the best commentators from other sports. Unfortunately I can't see that happening for a long time yet.
100% Spot on Cherry, Claire Balding is Rugby League through and through.
Pitty the blinkered RL fans cant see this.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:Clare Balding is probably the best part of the BBC coverage! As others have already said she's an RL convert and she's genuinely enthusiastic about the game.As a presenter she's very good because she doesn't give her input she merely asks the questions of the guests. She's well spoken, doesn't talk in silly cliches and is a recognisable face supporting rugby league.

Dave Woods is the best commentator but he's still got a bit to learn when it comes to the game. It's obvious that he's an experienced commentator though.

The problem tends to lie with the others. Jonathan Davies once had good insight into the game but now he's out of touch. Ray French is a terrible commentator and can't even get players names correct. John Kear embarrassed himself with similar mistakes that you wouldn't expect from someone directly involved with the game.
Brian Noble is pretty good in that role. He's much better on the TV than he is in a coaching role.

The sport of rugby league could do with finding a good young commentator who isn't out of touch with the game like Eddie, Stevo, French and Davies, has genuinely good insights and knows what they're talking about and can describe the games like the best commentators from other sports. Unfortunately I can't see that happening for a long time yet.
Totally agree, she is an avid fan of our game.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

josie andrews wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:

Totally agree, she is an avid fan of our game.
And she never holds back from showing it too Josie.
So what if she does make the odd mistake, all sports commentators make an OOPS now and again.
I just love her enthusiasm for the game of Rugby League.
Keep it up Claire " Just lovin it".
the_Warrior_in_Brum

Post by the_Warrior_in_Brum »

With all the celebrities in the world on board the, BEEB will never be successful in providing good RL outside broad casts for the following reason.
A very good friend of mine, an O.B. camera Person working at the game openly admits of knowing nothing about the game and therefore is never in a position to anticipate moves or to be alert to the action, needs more training and experience. I also know Ray French quite well, good teacher, nice man but Ray! Please come out of the 20th century. The game is not the one you and I played.
THERE ARE TWO SECRETS TO GREAT WEALTH AND SUCCESS
FIRSTLY DON’T TELL ANYBODY EVERYTHING YOU KNOW…..