Not frustrated with Sam T anymore.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Not frustrated with Sam T anymore.

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:I hope folks realise he is a full back now :)

Sam and Joe Mellor could never play in the halves together. Now Joe can play 6 with Sam at FB and that works.
Still sat on the fence with that statement, and this is not a snipe at Sam.
Sam is a freak of nature in attacking as a Rugby League player, but Full Back being his best position I am still not fully convinced.
Sam isnt the best by far under the high ball, a trait of a good full back.
Paul Charlton was the first attacking full back that I can remember, like Sam he had pace to burn, but Charlo could catch a ball, wheras Sam struggles.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

For what it is worth I just love watching Sam play RL. He is breath of fresh air in my opinion and without him we quite simply would not be the same force, ok he has some negatives to his game but doesn't everyone? (well 99.9% of players excluding Roby of course according to Dumb and Dumber on Sky, you decide who is who!) Sam's positives far outweigh his negatives and if and when he tries his luck in the NRL I wouldn't be surprised at all if all the clubs want his signature because he is simply WORLD CLASS! :o
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Kittwazzer wrote:Had to chuckle at the comments around me at his second try:

GIVE IT!!!!

GREEDY BUGGER!!!!

WHAT A TRY!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was screaming much the same.
I really thought he had loused it up. Mind you, I was screaming much the same for his first.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
TSB

Post by TSB »

cpwigan wrote:St George won the NRL in 2010 attacking left side 99.9% of the time. Most teams have a left side bias. Far more players can pass right to left than left to right. Sam could play FB in the NRL with ease and be one of the top 5 FBs in their comp. Sam is the nearest thing to Billy Slater.
Ive bin watching Matty since he was eight years of age an Billy Slater is the nearest thing to MATTY. :lol:
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I hope folks realise he is a full back now :)

Sam and Joe Mellor could never play in the halves together. Now Joe can play 6 with Sam at FB and that works.
Still sat on the fence with that statement, and this is not a snipe at Sam.
Sam is a freak of nature in attacking as a Rugby League player, but Full Back being his best position I am still not fully convinced.
Sam isnt the best by far under the high ball, a trait of a good full back.
Paul Charlton was the first attacking full back that I can remember, like Sam he had pace to burn, but Charlo could catch a ball, wheras Sam struggles.
I suppose it's a case of what you think the most important facet of a FB should be.
Hampo could catch a ball like no other.
Rads was the best support player and tackler I've seen at FB.
Sam T is the freak a lot of people see him to be and can break a line for fun.
If you combine those players you get....well.....Billy Slater on his best day.
But like someone else said, Sam is a breath of fresh air, he's a very exciting player to watch and can wow a whole stadium. He isn't disliked by every other team's fans because he's crap! Quite the opposite, other fans hate him because of what he can do and the confidence/arrogance he does it with. He can be frustrating (as I posted a couple of weeks ago) but let's not forget that he is only half way through his second full season in SL and he will get better.

In term of the catch under the high ball, we do have Hampo on the coaching team. I'm sure work is being done.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
StarAndy

Post by StarAndy »

Very true KiwiSeddon,
have a read of the warrington forum... believe it or not they are singing Sams praises big time as an unbelievable player..... aint that very nice of them.