Injuries

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Injuries

Post by GeoffN »

Intereting snippet at the end of the Vaealiki article: I hadn't quite realised just how widespread our injuries were until I read this -
"It leaves Martin Aspinwall, Wayne Godwin and Stephen Wild as the only ever-presents in the Warriors' injury-hit season."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 574547.stm

While I realise that some of those injuries weren't fitness related, that must say something about the late, unlamented, NAJ.
MrsLam

Re: Injuries

Post by MrsLam »

Is Haigh our new conditioner? I've not seen anything official or is it just another rumour?

If it's true then it is an exciting season for us, new coach with good coaching record and hopefully the players will have better levels of fitness with the coach and Haigh. Less injuries, better fitness, creative play, can't be bad!
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Rather begs the question, why did saracens want him?
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I've no idea but I'm happy enough to say goodbye. He just can't do anything for our little calcium deficient youngsters
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
Intereting snippet at the end of the Vaealiki article: I hadn't quite realised just how widespread our injuries were until I read this -
"It leaves Martin Aspinwall, Wayne Godwin and Stephen Wild as the only ever-presents in the Warriors' injury-hit season."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 574547.stm

While I realise that some of those injuries weren't fitness related, that must say something about the late, unlamented, NAJ.
Whatever the cause the fact so many of the sqad have been out makes it all the more disruptive.

Fans of other clubs keep saying "Oh you only have three injuries" but given we keep having to chop and change the team I can't playing the same 13 for more than two games in a row since O'Loughlin got injured.

I think that was partly Betts fault but he certainly wasn't helped in making consistent selections with different players copping it weekly requiring a reshuffle.

Is this Haigh bloke any good? If he was NAJ's assistant then surely he wa spart of the problem!

Dave
Fylde Coast Warrior

Post by Fylde Coast Warrior »

Sounds to me like we Need A New Conditioner!

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
Fans of other clubs keep saying "Oh you only have three injuries" but given we keep having to chop and change the team I can't playing the same 13 for more than two games in a row since O'Loughlin got injured.

I think that was partly Betts fault but he certainly wasn't helped in making consistent selections with different players copping it weekly requiring a reshuffle.

Dave
I think that's been most noticeable at half-back (and at full-back, when Rads was out). Orr & Moran have copped a lot of stick (on here and elsewhere), but they've hardly played a full game together.
BTW, any news on Orr's latest injury?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Fylde Coast Warrior posted:

Please do not start or he who should not be mentioned will return.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

thegimble posted:
Fylde Coast Warrior posted:

Please do not start or he who should not be mentioned will return.
Doesn't have the same ring to it, though, somehow...sounds more like some blonde shopping in Boots.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Schalk Brits... posted:
NAJ knows his stuff this is why he is being lured by big bucks to go to Saracens he cannot choose the players he has to work with many of whom are genetically light weight and can't seem to put weight on even though they are trying (Hock,Hansen,Brown,Lockers in particular)
Wigan are a very fit side and fitness and strength go together. It is obviously harder for lighter players to keep their strength over the course of a full game not only are they having to tackle bigger men but the same big men are not using up as much strength in tackling a high percentage of Wigan players. Fitness wouldn't be a problem if the players (especially the pack) were harder to put down and more durable.Maturity will hopefully help them
But it's not only the younger, lighter players that are suffering. Senior players that have enjoyed a relatively injury free career (Radliski, Farrell, Newton, Orr, Moran, Carney) until the arrival of NAJ are now breaking down.
Maybe it's just coincidence - but I'm not convinced.