Wigan squad v Dirty Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gpartin

Re: Wigan squad v Dirty Leeds

Post by gpartin »

I think Joel's a bit of a rough diamond in the centre's. Not there yet but much much better than I thought he would be. The way he fends people off in attack and gets the ball away is great but he seems to do the same in defence too. His positioning in defence for me is not a worry as much as his tackling technique.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Wes

Post by Wes »

Im gonna stick to my guns on Joel hes doing a great job in the centres and could easily be the next best british centre if he keeps improving week on week.

Worth noting too that in defence this, his side will get attacked more I mean to other teams Carmont and Richards or Joel and Josh its a no brainer but from my memory they dont let an awful lot through.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Just to show how he is going in the centres this year I have his stats compared to George who we all love and want to go around again next year. Not bad for 2/3rd of a years worth of experience in centre.

Joel Tomkins George Carmont
Position 3 4 Position
Shirt number 12 4 Shirt number
Appearances 15 17 Appearances
Tries 5 7 Tries
Try assists 6 8 Try assists
Goals 0 0 Goals
Drop Goals 0 0 Drop Goals
Meters 1326 1733 Meters
Carries 195 195 Carries
Tackles 299 329 Tackles
Offloads 18 21 Offloads
Attacking Kicks 3 2 Attacking Kicks
Runs from dummy half 12 44 Runs from dummy half
Tackle Busts 30 36 Tackle Busts
Marker tackles 55 52 Marker tackles
Clean Breaks 9 10 Clean Breaks
Forty twenty 0 0 Forty twenty
Kicks in general play 3 2 Kicks in general play
Missed goals 0 0 Missed goals
Missed tackles 19 18 Missed tackles
Errors 18 19 Errors
Penalties 7 4 Penalties
Red cards 1 0 Red cards
Yellow cards 0 0 Yellow cards

RJ

Post by RJ »

I also don't understand why Tuson is preferred to Farrell. I note the penalties point but for me Faz always seems to do much more for the team than Tuson and his attacking runs are more likely to be destructive.
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

RJ wrote:I also don't understand why Tuson is preferred to Farrell. I note the penalties point but for me Faz always seems to do much more for the team than Tuson and his attacking runs are more likely to be destructive.
RJ I was being sarcastic/ironic over the penalty point, my wife is a redhead and she thinks it is ginger discrimination
:inlo:
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I cannot fathom it BUT

Madge gives every player specific instructions as to what he wants them to do in defence and attack. He told Faz 3 or 4 that he wanted him ripping in tough and rough in defence, he felt he had ignored what he said and dropped him. The odd thing for me is if you talk to many fans they compare Faz to Mick Cassidy re defence and I am not convinced ripping in tough and rough every tackle is the answer. An example would be Roby who twists and rides big shot and you are far better just enveloping him to absorb his style. I think Wire run in far too hard, to the extent is can be exploited.

Still Madge knows far more than I ever will.

Confused.com