Tom Spencer

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Tom Spencer

Post by cpwigan »

Dom crosby gets plenty of wraps (rightly so) but IMO Spencer has just as much potential as Dom. He may even be slightly bigger physique wise than Dom, although neither are small.
josie andrews

Re: Tom Spencer

Post by josie andrews »

Tom Spencer is a cracking player & I am looking to him improving next season & maybe get a chance in some SL games too :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Spencer has been the big success story of this years U20's. He's really come through to be the best of the props. Next year I'd be looking to get him out on dual reg just as we have done with Crosby this year. Jamie Acton has also impressed for someone with so little experience, and again maybe a loan spell would do him good.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Cracking player with a bright future.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Scored a cracking try on Saturday v Wakey under 20's.
He drives the ball in as though he has total disregard for his own body!
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
ragman

Post by ragman »

Shaun1967 wrote:Scored a cracking try on Saturday v Wakey under 20's.
He drives the ball in as though he has total disregard for his own body!
you're qite right. Saturday was only the second time I've seen him play, so I wouldn't want to get too carried away about this, but he looks the real deal to me - he has that ability to run the ball in at full pace without checking himself or breaking stride. You either have that or you don't, it's not easy to coach into someone who hasn't got it. He's also got great hands and good vision - again only based on two viewings so my comments must be qualified.

Way ahead of both Crosby and O'Carroll at the moment for me, and I don't rate Ben Davies I'm afraid.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I've been impressed every time I've seen him play. He's already training with the first team. Do we really need to give another SL team the benefit of his talents? Why not ease him straight into our first team?
Forever Warrior

Post by Forever Warrior »

Tough lad and has the ability to do plenty of game time. Early days yet but another great prospect.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Spencer is an intelligent lad too. Got a scholarship from Standish High to go to Kirkham Grammar School. We have some intelligent youngsters; Greg Burke is another clever young man. Paul Prescott is very intelliogent with a law degree etc.

RE Props; I think Ben Davies is IMO a back rower who got pushed into the prop position and whilst more than big enough and tough enough to play the role at Academy, SL is different and the weight he adds looks non productive. IMO, he would be better leaner and as a back rower.

One option in the modern game is to be able to play LF but defend centrally and hit it up hard like a prop. Greg Burke could be one such play; Ben Davies could too.

Lima/Fielden/Prescott are all experienced. Mossop is gaining experience. I hate to say it but I think Eamonn could be surplus to requirements etc and Spencer/Crosby brought into the first team more often.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I'm reserving judgment on Freddie until I've seen him make a few first team appearances!