Salary Cap And Recruitment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Salary Cap And Recruitment

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

On the face of it, we should have a substantial amount of cash available in 2012 for the recruitment of new players. This follows the loss of Gleeson, the impending departure of Hoffman and Coley and the possible retirement of Deacon. One could argue that we should be on the look out for four top quality replacements, but is that really the situation? I for one don't think so!

I would imagine that a large chunk, of the available salary cap, is already accounted for - incremental payments to several players e.g. the Tomkins brothers, improved terms for Carmont and a full years salary for Hock.

For these reasons, as well as player availability and exchange rates, I don't expect many additions to the squad and I certainly don't expect any stellar signings. That said, I have faith in IFL and the coaching staff and their recruitment process.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Re: Salary Cap And Recruitment

Post by cpwigan »

If the much of the extra is spent on increments/new contracts for younger players then that IMO is fine.

RE Big star names. I like the idea of taking the star for a season. So as an example, George leaves after 2012 and we take a Greg Inglis for a season etc. As a trophy winning club we have a lot to offer and if a season loan helps an NRL club ratain their star players then I am sure they would look at the long term gain etc.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

cpwigan wrote:If the much of the extra is spent on increments/new contracts for younger players then that IMO is fine.

RE Big star names. I like the idea of taking the star for a season. So as an example, George leaves after 2012 and we take a Greg Inglis for a season etc. As a trophy winning club we have a lot to offer and if a season loan helps an NRL club ratain their star players then I am sure they would look at the long term gain etc.
I agree. There has been a huge shift in recent years at Wigan in terms of contract money redistribuution and I hope this continues as CP says with existing contracts being improved. The days of the likes of Barrett and Farrell, never mind very of overseas players like Vaeleki, taking up a huge slice of the salary cap are gone. There is a much more balanced approach now and the benefits to the team as a whole are obvious.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Salary Cap redistribution has to be a prime objective for Wigan Warriors. Top young player like Sam Tomkins & Josh Charnley, to use as examples, should be made to feel they are valued assets of the club instead of bringing in the big bucks signings from overseas.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Salary Cap redistribution has to be a prime objective for Wigan Warriors. Top young player like Sam Tomkins & Josh Charnley, to use as examples, should be made to feel they are valued assets of the club instead of bringing in the big bucks signings from overseas.
Fully agreed

Perhaps a season or two of minor player replacement will happen but I cannot see wholesale changes to the team (including new coaches) like we used to see under Mo each close season
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Top young player like Sam Tomkins & Josh Charnley, to use as examples, should be made to feel they are valued assets of the club instead of bringing in the big bucks signings from overseas.
The two are not mutually exclusive options.

I am sure Sam and Josh do feel valued assets of the club and I am also sure we will sign marquee players from outside the club if they are available.

Unfortunately the Aussie increased salary cap and poor exchange rate v the Aussie dollar will make it harder to sign such players from overseas but I am sure if the club can manage it, it will do so. And quite right too. Lima, Hoffman and Finch contributed as much to the CC win as Sam and Josh.

There is a balance to be struck of home grown and imports and I don't think we have to worry IL is going to get it wrong.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Top young player like Sam Tomkins & Josh Charnley, to use as examples, should be made to feel they are valued assets of the club instead of bringing in the big bucks signings from overseas.
The two are not mutually exclusive options.

I am sure Sam and Josh do feel valued assets of the club and I am also sure we will sign marquee players from outside the club if they are available.

Unfortunately the Aussie increased salary cap and poor exchange rate v the Aussie dollar will make it harder to sign such players from overseas but I am sure if the club can manage it, it will do so. And quite right too. Lima, Hoffman and Finch contributed as much to the CC win as Sam and Josh.

There is a balance to be struck of home grown and imports and I don't think we have to worry IL is going to get it wrong.
With reference to his salary in comparisson with more senior players would you say that Josh would feel a valued asset with the possible wages he is payed.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Something telse me, Josh is not currently being paid that much.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

God wrote:

Dont want Harris as number 2 but it looks like its a done deal IMO its not a good appointment and doesnt bring anything that Wigan dont already have. Infact we will be worse off.
Could you please explain God.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan have taken up the one year option on Joe Mellors contract.