Thoughts for the playoffs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Gizmo_Edwards

Thoughts for the playoffs

Post by Gizmo_Edwards »

What an awful Sunday afternoon.
The trio of Morley, Monaghan and Carvell killed us in the middle.
We looked very tired and jaded
Our uncharacteristic mistakes.
Some Wire luck!
Some incorrect decisions.

Lets look forward to the playoffs and hope that we have got our defeat out of the way. I agree with a lot of people’s view that we could not have kept going unbeaten until GF. After Last years defeat to Leeds we lifted last year.

At the business end of the playoffs it is likely to be:-
FRI – Wire v Hud
SAT – Wigan v Saints

This is assuming that Wire beat Hull. If Catalans finish 5th or 6th they will get a home draw and will therefore have there game on the Saturday and Wigan’s game will be moved to the Sunday.

Winners then get the week off; losers must play against Cats, Leeds, Hull FC or KR

It is likely that Wire will then have clubcall and pick who ever is left except wigan and saints.

The likelihood is Wigan will have to beat Saints twice to get to grand final. Again assuming they can beat Hull on Friday.

Hope everyone comes out in force for the crusaders game and would love an attendance of 18k plus as the boys and madge have deserved our loyal support.

Looking forward to seeing you at the DW Friday!
Wigan Rugby League Fans:- the jackpot winners in rugby league life...
stevethegas

Re: Thoughts for the playoffs

Post by stevethegas »

It was definitely the poorest performance for some time on Sunday, but we shouldn't underestimate the skill and determination showed by the Wire.
So it looks like second and that's probably a fair reflection of our season. Last year we were out in front and still managed to lose to both Huddersfield (league) and Leeds playoff) at home, before going to Old Trafford to pick up some silverware.

So, I'm not too pessimistic, everything's possible as long as we keep our nerve.
Prior to Sunday we'd won 13 games straight, and as that number grows so it becomes an albatross round our necks. Better to shed it now than later.

We were poor and given the week before it's hardly surprising.
I suspect however that every team in the league would prefer to avoid Wigan in the next few weeks. Whatever we fear about the others, they almost certainly fear us more, and so they should!
Stevethegas
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

we lost a game!! lets not all get to carried away. first or second doesn't really matter. we have the beating of stains engrained in to us now and i will love it if we knock them out of the playoffs.
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

This time last year we had been knocked out the CC and won nothing. Strike me we have plenty to be happy about 12 months later and Wire is just a reminder that this game revolves around an average number of plays and sets per game and that v a very good team, get it wrong and you get beat.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

What odds wire losing their focus after they win the hubcap? Plus their usual play off hoodoo to overcome.

They couldn't have played much better yesterday - or us much worse. We also couldn't have had many more decisions go against us. After the initial onslaught when we looked exhausted, they used penalty after penalty to get field position. Had morley been binned as he should have, then there is a chance we would have been a score or too closer.

We need to exploit his ill discipline and slowness to get back onside - if we get a ref who isn't influenced by the crowd, then I have every belief that we can beat them.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

We lost our dominance of the ruck yesterday and that cost us dearly - we could have been penalised out of sight in the first 10 minutes for not standing square at the PTB. The absolute control of that area we've had has fed us our composure and focus all year and that was notably absent against Wire.

I'd accept it will be very unlikely Wire will lose against Hull and rest strategic players on Friday. A motivated half full Wigan team should take the Crusaders to the cleaners.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Hull have beaten Wire already this season.
BriH

Post by BriH »

Unlike some commentators, I think Hull will give the Wire a hard match.
- last home game of the Season. Will want to impress their Fans.
- nothing better than beating No 1.
- they (Hull) have had some good form recently.
- they can do "the double" over the Wire.
- give them some momentum going into the Playoffs.

{Hope I'm right!!!} :roll: :roll: :exc: :exc:
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

Hull can finish as high as fifth and get a home tie with a win, They'll be going all out and have been in good form. Still think Warrington will win though.
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

C.P. I agree with you Hull , gave us a hard game here and can overturn Wire .

That`ll make us top of the league again .

At the end of the day we lost to Wire on Sunday the week after winning the cup . We won the one that mattered and will go on to Win the grand final , we are a fickle lot .