Quins pick up pair of Robins

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Quins pick up pair of Robins

Post by josie andrews »

Harlequins have continued their recruitment drive by signing Hull KR duo Liam Colbon and Matt Cook.

Winger Colbon, who began his career with hometown club Wigan before moving to Rovers in 2009, has agreed a two-year deal to move to the capital.

Cook will also spend the next two seasons at Quins, the back rower having made only eight Super League appearances for the Robins this term.

Both players were coming to the end of their current contracts at Craven Park and were not offered new terms.

Quins head coach Rob Powell said: "Liam is exactly the type of winger that we like at this club.

"He makes a lot of metres in yardage and is a strong ball carrier. He's at a good age and has served a good apprenticeship at Wigan and Hull KR."

Strong carrier

On Cook, he added: "Matt's a strong ball carrier and runs a decent line on an edge.

"He's had limited opportunities due to the strength that Rovers have had in those positions but we feel he is someone who can kick on and play a lot of games. He will definitely add something to our squad."

Colbon is looking forward to a "great opportunity" with Quins having fallen down the pecking order at Rovers, despite a hat-trick of tries earlier this year against Wakefield Wildcats.
"I am really excited to have signed for Harlequins Rugby League for next season," he said.

"It's a great opportunity for me to show what I can do and I'm really looking forward to joining up with the squad and to start working with them all in the off-season."

Cook is also looking forward to the move south, commenting: "I'm really excited to be coming home to Harlequins Rugby League.

"It's where I started my career when I was a kid and I was coached by Phil Jones. I'm really looking forward to getting back there and playing in the Super League."

The news of two further fresh faces being added to next year's squad comes hot off the heels of Harlequins confirming the capture of Manly winger Michael Robertson.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12212_7155951,00.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Quins pick up pair of Robins ....& a Sea Eagle

Post by josie andrews »

Robertson joining Quins

Manly's Grand Final hero admits it's tough to leave the NRL

Michael Robertson has agreed a deal to join Harlequins for the 2012 season after being granted an early release from Manly.

The 28-year-old winger scored a hat-trick to help the Sea Eagles beat Melbourne to the 2008 NRL title will move to the London club, who are expected to play under a new name - possibly their old one of the Broncos - from the end of the season.

Robertson, who played for Scotland at the 2008 World Cup, will bring a rich pedigree to the Super League, having made 147 first-grade appearances for Manly, scoring at a rate of a try every 1.8 games.

He said: "A lot of my mates have done it and loved the experience so when the opportunity to give it a shot came up I grabbed it.

"I want to go over there whilst I'm enjoying my football and hopefully with another premiership under my belt.

"It will be difficult to leave Manly where I have loved my time and made lot of friends - especially my team-mates."

Robertson was also wished well by long-time coach Des Hasler, who said: "He will add value to any team he plays in."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7155068,00.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan