Shaun Wane & Iestyn Harris

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Shaun Wane & Iestyn Harris

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:
DaveO wrote:
platt-warrior wrote:Why all the negativity re Wane and Harris?
Because the rumour is Harris was imposed on Wane as his assistant when Wane wanted Scunthorpe.
TBH if there is one single element of truth in any of this "imposing" players/staff upon Shaun Wane then IMO he should NOT be Wigan's coach.

He sounds from other poster's comments weak-minded, unable to make his own judgements and easily influenced, Bad traits for a future coach of a team with ego's/character as diverse as can be in a team sport.

Perhaps it could be Wane that is the problem here?
Well that is one way of looking at it but if you were chairman would you try and impose your will on the coach? Or would you take heed of the quote above from Chelsea, appoint a coach and just stand aside and let him get on with it however he liked without you sticking your nose in?

In other words the coach should not have to stand up to the chairman on things like who is his assistant because the chairman should just accept who the coach wants and not even try to meddle.

Now granted a coach may want numerous players to be signed and the chairman has to keep a hand on the budget but that is different than imposing staff and/or players on the coach because the chairman himself has made the decision.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Whilst I can understand IL wants to balance the game side of the club on a fiscal level. I see no evidence (apart from hearsay) that players/staff are being imposed for financial reasons on Shaun Wane. Nor for that matter, that not one of the aforementioned players/staff are wanted in any capacity by anyone bar the Chairman.

Why would IL make what are being considered "cheaper" or "lesser" signings when simply promoting what the club already produces from within the youth set-up would be the ultimate in "cheapness/wage savings"?

Next thing is people will be saying that IL wont spend money on a top Aussie coach hence we are being lumbered with an inexperienced first team coach. You can't have it both ways - either Wane is being given a chance or HE IS an alternative "cheap" coach!

BTW, wouldn't the proposed signing of these "cheaper/unwanted" players make his brand(Wigan) appear either weak or poorer to us, the buying public as well as potential future sponsors? As a millionaire and businessman, this would be a major mistake by IL if correct
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:Whilst I can understand IL wants to balance the game side of the club on a fiscal level. I see no evidence (apart from hearsay) that players/staff are being imposed for financial reasons on Shaun Wane.
That is why it's in the rumour mill. Along with the speculation about several Crusaders players.
Why would IL make what are being considered "cheaper" or "lesser" signings when simply promoting what the club already produces from within the youth set-up would be the ultimate in "cheapness/wage savings"?
I have no idea and have argued the same thing on RL fans and the response by some who seem to think these signings are nailed on is to try and justify them e.g. if we sign Thomas that can be used to lure Welsh RU talent to Wigan.
Next thing is people will be saying that IL wont spend money on a top Aussie coach hence we are being lumbered with an inexperienced first team coach. You can't have it both ways - either Wane is being given a chance or HE IS an alternative "cheap" coach!
Surely it can be both.

I am sure CPW posted in the past IL wanted to get SW on the cheap and not pay him the same wage as Madge.

If he has done that he will be being a given the chance but on the cheap.
BTW, wouldn't the proposed signing of these "cheaper/unwanted" players make his brand(Wigan) appear either weak or poorer to us, the buying public as well as potential future sponsors? As a millionaire and businessman, this would be a major mistake by IL if correct
Well I think so but you go over to rlfans and see the typical flak I have taken for merely suggesting similar.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

butt monkey wrote:Whilst I can understand IL wants to balance the game side of the club on a fiscal level. I see no evidence (apart from hearsay) that players/staff are being imposed for financial reasons on Shaun Wane. Nor for that matter, that not one of the aforementioned players/staff are wanted in any capacity by anyone bar the Chairman.

IFL doesn't get many things wrong, hence the reason he is a millionaire and a successful Rugby League Chairman. Proof of the pudding will be in the eating, so we will just have to wait and see what materialises.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I believe Waney got a better deal by standing firm.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:I believe Waney got a better deal by standing firm.
He did cp, told me himself :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think fans need to remember Waney is no mug, far from it, the opposite in fact. He was successful outside RL and is nobodys fool.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

cpwigan wrote:I think fans need to remember Waney is no mug, far from it, the opposite in fact. He was successful outside RL and is nobodys fool.
Why does everyone then assume that all rumoured signings, either player-wise or staff are in some way "forced" onto him without his input?

I accept this is the rumour mill - hence the constant speculation, however many are doing Shaun Wane a great disservice by making such unsubstantiated claims
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Things are forced on coaches at Wigan and other clubs all the time. The Welsh stuff is IL and the RFL. Long coaching at Salford despite claims by Parrish is a John Wilkinson decision/move.

Waney has had to stand firm and really haggle to get a decent contract. Madge was quite happy to take Waney to South Sydney and quite frankly the stunt IL tried to pull re Waney salary was embarassing but I guess that is why he is a multi millionaire.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

On the otherhand Wane has been an assistant at Wigan with the benefit of not only a great coach but the best fitness methods/coach and backroom staff we've ever had, Madge has put a lot of systems in place and improved the culture and as such the job Wane will have to do is theoretically much easier than what Madge had to do when he joined us.. He may have done well with our second team over the years but the idea seemed to be that he would do three years as an assistant before taking over from Madge so in actual fact he is being given a chance a year early when IL would have been well within his rights to go for someone with more experience and perhaps the lower contract offer initially reflected all this? A good coach will work with the players he is given and turn them into the type of players he wants, Madge hardly made any squad changes and look at what happened. The 'it's not his team' arguments were banded about in defence of Brian Noble for a long time after he took over and Madge proved that this doesn't matter as much as people made out. I am a firm believer in a coach having freedom to pick the team from the players he has available but the coach doesn't pay the wages and shouldn't be given a free rein when it comes to signings however if we are signing Lauki I think Shaun Wane may well have been involved in this somewhere along the line because I think Wane probably wants to toughen us up a bit.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."