Steve Mac at it again!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Steve Mac at it again!

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... poser.html

trying to force an aussie to play for England, first big maurie, then manu now this guy.

Ive no doubt he's a good player but surely we arent that desperate. Yeaman's been playing well as has Whellam (one of my dream team players), shenton is due some form, joel and ablett have shown they can play centre well.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Sutty

Re: Steve Mac at it again!

Post by Sutty »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... poser.html

trying to force an aussie to play for England, first big maurie, then manu now this guy.

Ive no doubt he's a good player but surely we arent that desperate. Yeaman's been playing well as has Whellam (one of my dream team players), shenton is due some form, joel and ablett have shown they can play centre well.
Except, he's not an Aussie, he's English. He was born in Castleford and moved to Australia when he was young. Granted he's played all his rugby over there, and he's meant to be a great player.

This is a totally different scenario to the farce that was Maurie and Manu

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Just the same scenario as Widdop!

He was born in England too but played all his career in the NRL!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Steve Mac at it again! - Jack Reed commits to England

Post by josie andrews »

England are delighted to announce that Brisbane Broncos centre Jack Reed has pledged his allegiance to the country of his birth and will figure in Steve McNamara’s plans for the 2011 Gillette Four Nations.

Reed, who was born in Castleford and moved to Australia when he was two, has enjoyed a sensational debut season in the NRL and will feature in England’s train-on squad from next week.

The 23-year-old’s form had seen him earmarked as a future Queensland player but the young Bronco, nicknamed ‘Jumping Jack’ Down Under, has turned his back on State of Origin representation to become part of Steve McNamara’s England plans for the Gillette Four Nations and the 2013 Rugby League World Cup.

“Jack is an exciting player, who has had a great season in the NRL,” said England coach McNamara.

“We are delighted that he is pledging his allegiance to England. It is a great coup for us as we continue our preparations ahead of the Gillette Four Nations. I have been in constant dialogue with Jack and his manager throughout the year and he has convinced me of his desire and total commitment to play for the country of his birth.

“We are always interested in adding quality to the squad and Jack certainly fits that bill - he will add great competition to our backs.”

Reed, who will play for Brisbane in this weekend’s NRL Play-off semi-final against St George Illawarra Dragons, has scored 12 tries during the 2011 season and his direct style has impressed the England coach.

“We have analysed his performances throughout this year’s campaign and he has gained valuable experience playing in a tough competition in his first season,” added McNamara. “He has been a standout player in the Brisbane Broncos side.

“Jack is concentrating on the NRL finals with the Broncos and I wish him well in his match against St George Illawarra at the weekend. Once his domestic commitments have been completed he will join up with the rest of the train-on squad at our base in Loughborough.”

Reed said he was thrilled by the prospect of representing England and is looking forward to joining Steve and the rest of the squad as they gear up preparations for the Gillette Four Nations over the next few weeks.

“It was a tough decision to make but my heritage means a lot to me and it will be a great honour to represent England if selected,” said Reed.

“Everyone, both at home and at the club, have been very supportive throughout the whole process.

“I have been in contact with Steve (McNamara) and he has been great. He hasn’t put any pressure on me and has left the decision to myself.

“I’m looking forward at the end of the season being part of the England set-up and hopefully forcing my way into Steve’s plans.

“It would be great to play on the international stage and be part of something special this year and in the future - especially with the Rugby League World Cup coming up in 2013.”

England start their Gillette Four Nations campaign on Saturday October 29 when they take on Wales at Leigh Sports Village (2.30pm) with tickets priced at just £10 adults and £5 concessions.

The tournament moves to Wembley Stadium on Saturday November 5 when Wales face New Zealand at 1.00pm before England clash with Australia at 3.30pm.

England’s remaining game against New Zealand will be played at the KC Stadium in Hull on Saturday November 12 (6.00pm) and tickets are priced from £20 adult and £10 concession.

The 2011 Gillette Four Nations final will be played at Elland Road, Leeds on Saturday November 19 (6.00pm) and tickets are priced from £20 Adult and £10 concession.

Tickets for the 2011 Gillette Four Nations can be purchased by calling 0844 856 1113 or by visiting www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article/ja ... and/23536?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Re: Steve Mac at it again! - Jack Reed commits to England

Post by josie andrews »

Well it looks like McBanana man has talked him into it!
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

He's a top player and definately someone we need. Bridge and Reed in the centres for me. with Reed on the left we should have a tasty left side of Widdop,Ellis and Reed, probably Hall on the wing.

Clown man needs to pick the right props now.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:
AdamMac wrote:He's a top player and definately someone we need. Bridge and Reed in the centres for me. with Reed on the left we should have a tasty left side of Widdop,Ellis and Reed, probably Hall on the wing.

Clown man needs to pick the right props now.
You wouldnt Pick Yeaman ?
No, I know he's had a belting year and it seems harsh but I would have bridge over him. Joel would be on the bench backing Ellis and Westwood up in the 2nd row.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Reed is an excellent player. Whether he end up in the pack or remains an outside back should be interesting.

Incidentally, I would go for Bridge as a centre with the bonus he seems a very good kicker.
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

I was thinking about our team the other day. Wrote down about 10 names of centres i thought would be in with a shout and none of them jumped out. I would go with Yeaman and keep him together with Briscoe who is 1 of 7 who HAVE to be in the team for me.
I've heard a bit about this lad at Brisbane in the last few weeks and i think it's great he's chosen to play for England. It's not the same situation as with Fa'asavalu and Manu.
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

I guess you'll get a look at how he performs on Sunday against St George - here's his NRL stats page for the season
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields