Re: Sam

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The team has become too reliant upon him in attack and he is trying too hard, making mistakes. Using Sam as a decoy would solves many problems and opern up gaps elsewhere.
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

I'm sure he passes the ball when he collects the kicks because he can get the ball away from the majority of the chasers and get a quick play the ball. He can then pick it up and he's into broken field, which is what he wants. I think it's better than him running it back into the oncoming defensive line.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Noticed a distinct lack of enthusiasm. Certainly think today he blew his MOS chances. Noticed the last few weeks he has been below par. Even his drives lacked a lot of his usual punch. Could not blame the forwards. Hopefully he will be sorted for next week. Today we would have struggled with any of the top teams. Next week it is win or bust. Jim
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think it is a deliberate ploy to move the chasers around, let Pat hit it up first and hopefully create a scoot for Sam the 2nd tackle.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Not so sure, CP. Very lethargic in his scoots. Going nowhere. Totally lacking in line breaks today. Stains held the line and you could see him run out of ideas when noone was sucked in. Jim
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

highland convert wrote:Not so sure, CP. Very lethargic in his scoots. Going nowhere. Totally lacking in line breaks today. Stains held the line and you could see him run out of ideas when noone was sucked in. Jim
What you not sure about Jim? That it is a deliberate ploy?

I think Sam is running on empty and sickened by the bashing he receives on and off the pitch. The amount of time he gets 'extras' in tackles and nothing is done is embarassing. I daresay he will go to either Union or the NRL sooner rather than later.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

JJ wrote:What on earth was up with Sam today?
In the first half we were all shouting pass the ball Sam, then late in the first half i don't think he heard the Ref wipe the tackle count clear because he then kicked the ball down field on the first tackle.

The second half well we could not believe it every time Sam caught the ball he stood still and passed it right away, it was as though someone had told him off for not passing and so he thought well i will pass every time.
If this was supposed to be a ploy its a poor one because he passed to Richard's several times from the middle of the park having got to the kick with a good 20 or 30m of clear ground in front of him. Richards brought the ball back into the middle as wingers do when running the ball out so we made far less ground on the kick-return than if Sam had just run it straight out.

It really looked like he could not be bothered. If that was because he detected certain of his team mates could not be either so he gave up I have no idea but even if it was it is still not good enough.

Dave
MarkWestStand

Post by MarkWestStand »

Injured, clearly
Wes

Post by Wes »

His defencive effort was great his attacking ability was handled by Stains superbly, people seem to forget that for players like Sam we need to be winning the arm wrestle and yesterday we didnt!

Also he does recieve a lot of extras Sia could have broken Sams jaw yesterday, I doubt the rfl will even look at it!

Sam nearly scored a game changer only for a superb defencive effort from Lomax he nearly scored until Wellens just nicked him and held him for a professional foul (Wellens didnt get the 10mins he should have), he was also trying different things like chip over the top which we got a penalty from and eventually scored.

He took the line on and made a break was tackled then Meli flops (no penalty) but same set we get a penalty and score, so yes all in all he played sh1te!

LOL people need to wake up, our forwards where hammered Sam was given the ball with no structure or set play and expected to score, this isnt how we play we play with structures an set plays to get him on the ball at speed we had none of that yesterday, we also have 2 organising half backs, it doesnt have the natural balance or compliments Deacon was nowhere and Finch had to contend with an offside defence closing our pack down at mach 3 all day.

Am I worried no not really a day off and some good light training and we move on to Catalans!
jao711

Post by jao711 »

saints game plan seemed to be to kick it deep to Sam,and agood chase and make sure to tackle him,seemed to work too.perhaps we should move him back to stand off,for a while at least,but who plays f/b amos?