Why have we stopped bringing the young players on??????????

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jimofwigan

Why have we stopped bringing the young players on??????????

Post by jimofwigan »

How many new youngsters have beem given a chance of first team football this year?
We have a stand off in Deacan who must be well past his best and no one lined up from the academy given a chance to compete with him. George Carmont is a great player who needs less games to keep him sharp. The man has to be on crutches before our coach will play Goulding or Marsh. Why are they so slow to give these players more first team experience? You get my drift there are othe positions and players that need to be brought on but our coach has just give up on them. I am baffled and mistified given his first season spool on youth development.Does anyone know why he has given up on our youth? :angry: :( :conf:
pie eater and proud of it

Re: Why have we stopped bringing the young players on??????????

Post by pie eater and proud of it »

Been wondering the same myself lately.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It has been a major failing this season and hidden under the I always select my strongest team garbage and is short term thinking that threatens to damage long term success.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Spot on Cherry Pie. Madge's short term vision since his departure will impact on the team next season!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:I mentioned at the time it was announced that Madge was leaving that his focus would be solely on winning things this season and he wouldn't have any interest in what happens after that point, therefore there wouldn't be many instances of playing any young players for the benefit of experience.
I completely agree.

I posted a very similar thing recently on rlfans. Very tentatively because any criticism of Madge is a crime!

It is also why people being sanguine about the fact he was leaving because he has honoured his contract were not thinking how it might effect the team.
Madge seems to have developed a 'squad within a squad' where there are certain players he will call upon regardless of which positions need strengthening (i.e playing Tuson when missing a prop, playing O'Loughlin at 6 with Deacon or Finch missing or playing Leuluai at 7 and making McIlorum play the full 80 minutes).
Right out of the Noble book of coaching unfortunately.

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Right out of the Noble book of coaching unfortunately
Right out of the English handbook! how often have we done this at international level. Im very disappointed with this season in terms of our youngsters apart from charnley no-one has had a chance. I would of liked to see goulding give a chance at centre with Josh outside him and Joel back in the pack where he belongs.

Id love to have seen mellor given a few games, seeing him play for widnes i like to see what he could do at this level.

The decsion not to blood youngsters in at Crusaders was a sin before the play off its would have been handy to see who was knocking on the door.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure