Re: Is our beloved game corrupt?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Welski

Post by Welski »

DaveO wrote: Brian McDermott advised that Ryan raises his knee we admit that. We recognise the way Ryan carries the ball, he is a "bumpy carrier". He runs the line and shrugs off the defenders. The consequence is that he gets the timing wrong and his knee is leading and high. When correct he raises his leg to power through the line. This is the version where he gets it wrong. We have worked in training from the previous caution and looked at it in training to make it more of an upper body shrug. The player added I realise that it was wrong and there was no intent to cause injury and know I need to sort this out in my game. Brian McDermott also added, he hopes the panel show leniency, I know we are at an important part of the season. The possibility of missing him for the game at the weekend is enough to make us take notice of this. He is an animated character and a very tough player who shows aggression. All the media around Ryan has been about who is going to knock him out. He is working on his discipline and has shown huge improvements, having had no issues over the last 14 games. Ryan is definitely a work in progress and both we and Ryan realise that.
I don't know about corrupt, it's incomprensible.

Of courses, it was might just be I that are not understanded them words correcting and I realises that.

As for the media trying to knock him out... :o

That has made my day!!!
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The defence put up by McDermott and the player is pure fantasy. As the original ban ruling said, he has done this before so the idea he has been working on his game is a joke. He clearly has not or if he has, it has not worked.

Just shows coaches will do anything and say anything to gain an advantage. That is an equally "corrupt" attitude in my book. McDermott knows what he said above is a pack of lies.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Its uncanny the timing of this Bailey incident, with the way CP is on about the game being corrupt.

But this just shows how right he is. After the one match ban and the full explanation you think its all ok and maybe the game isn't currupt, but then they overturn the decision and you know it is.

This decision is shocking, he is a thug and will do anything to hurt an opponent. He has history of this incident and was recently banned for fighting. He was a disgrace at Wembley and after all this consideration, nothing.

A total disgrace, I'm not one for emailing the RL but i would love an explanation and would also love to know Cummings's view on it.

The problem now is he knows the RFL won't do anything to stop him and most players are to scared of him.

Alex the Warrior

Post by Alex the Warrior »

So, clearly, the 'Serious risk to injury' has been totally ignored. The explanation provided by Leeds, even if plausible, would be no defence. His style is dangerous and he has to change it and there is nothing line missing big matches to focus the mind.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Have Wigan been corrupt pre-Lenegan?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The whole sport professionally is corrupt A&L largely because of the way those at the top operate. If you cross the idiots they turn on you, even if you do nothing you are playing v opponents with stacked dice.
emperorkel

Post by emperorkel »

Whilst looking for some information on sky sports I came across an article about Nathan Brown and the poor display at Warrington, the article contained the following:
"Brown is confident his side will avoid another heavy penalty count after gaining assurances from the Rugby Football League's referees controller Stuart Cummings.
St Helens referee Steve Ganson penalised the Giants seven times in the first 15 minutes at Warrington in an apparent attempt to speed up the play-the-ball.
"Steve obviously got the game wrong the other day," Brown said. "I'm sure he's aware of that.
"That certainly wasn't how the game has been refereed this year but it's happened now and I've been assured by Stuart Cummings that it will be refereed the correct way this week.
"That's what you want, a good fair contest."
Now Cummings is clearly agreeing that Ganson got it wrong but how does he repay him, he gives him the Wigan Catalan game surely in the hope that Ganson does what he did at Warrington and penalises Wigan whose defensive tactics are similar to the giants.
Furthermore it does look as if Cummings has given an assurance that Giants won't be penalised as much, has he therefore had a word with the referee.
Surely this along with the farce re Baileys ban shows clearly that the people running our sport are at least incompetent or at worst corrupt.
One other thing nothing to do with this but have heard a whisper that one of the reasons Madge is going early is because IL had told him very early in the season 9around the time Gleason was sacked) that he would not be able to strengthen the squad for next season. I laughed this off but who knows?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:With the amount of players finishing i find this a bit difficult to undertsand also i think there is a major element of personal family issues why Madge is going home and for that reason i wish him all the best
Come on, he's going home because he got offered a top job. If he were leaving to go home unemployed as Riddell did then I might buy the personal issues thing.

Anyway back to the recruitment point. It has been posted somewhere, either here or rlfans, that next season several younger players will have their wages incremented and this will use up any cap space of those leaving.

That seems reasonable to me but in any case I don't think Madge would leave just because he had to work with more or less the same players as this season. He's leaving because he got offered a top job, pure and simple IMO.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

emperorkel wrote: Surely this along with the farce re Baileys ban shows clearly that the people running our sport are at least incompetent or at worst corrupt.
The word amateurish springs to mind. I genuinely think several of the people in top jobs at the RFL have been given jobs or promoted to positions way beyond their level of competence. Cummings is one. Nigel Wood is the prime example. I personally think he has a screw loose given some of his past ideas and initiatives.

I think these lot working for the RFL are on a very cushy number. There is no board of directors with any teeth as there is in a public company to hold Richard Lewis to account. It's like a club with jobs for boys. They appear to be a very self serving organisation that has people employed in a jobs for life.

To be fair most RL clubs are not that different with few run professionally.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

DaveO wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:With the amount of players finishing i find this a bit difficult to undertsand also i think there is a major element of personal family issues why Madge is going home and for that reason i wish him all the best
Come on, he's going home because he got offered a top job. If he were leaving to go home unemployed as Riddell did then I might buy the personal issues thing.

Anyway back to the recruitment point. It has been posted somewhere, either here or rlfans, that next season several younger players will have their wages incremented and this will use up any cap space of those leaving.

That seems reasonable to me but in any case I don't think Madge would leave just because he had to work with more or less the same players as this season. He's leaving because he got offered a top job, pure and simple IMO.
His mum was widowed last year and ill. His sister is also ill.

In this case, his personal reasons are legitimate.