When are you a Brigante?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sue d'Nym

When are you a Brigante?

Post by Sue d'Nym »

Just curious, I've heard several fans discuss them recently in both favourable and non favourable terms. It varies between them being the 'elite' and youngsters who can't hold their drink. I know the history of the term and the work that has gone into the flags, but it seems to be a term now that anyone is adopting for themselves if they:-

Sit at the back
Sing
Make a noise.

And following on from that when is a Brigante an Ultra? Are they the Brigantes that got fed up with people who weren't original Brignates calling themselves Brigantes?

ancientnloyal

Re: When are you a Brigante?

Post by ancientnloyal »

Doesn't mean anything to me tbh. Good on them for making the movement and growing something others can join in with on matchdays.

Plus does it matter who calls whoever who be it a normal fan or an ancient yorkshire tribe? No, as long as there is enjoyment singing, flag making or just turning up and watching quietly it's all good.

apart from pissed up kids
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

To be fair I think the guys that started it are adults, the odd ones OAPs. They are the same people responsible for the banners etc across the top of the South Stand. They do far far more good than bad. Fair play to them I say.
Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

Sue d'Nym wrote:Just curious, I've heard several fans discuss them recently in both favourable and non favourable terms. It varies between them being the 'elite' and youngsters who can't hold their drink. I know the history of the term and the work that has gone into the flags, but it seems to be a term now that anyone is adopting for themselves if they:-

Sit at the back
Sing
Make a noise.

And following on from that when is a Brigante an Ultra? Are they the Brigantes that got fed up with people who weren't original Brignates calling themselves Brigantes?
Brigantes is the name given to the Ultras group.
When do you become one? Not really thought about it to be honest. We are trying to create an Ultras scene at Wigan for those who are into that type of thing. Organised singing, chanting, visual displays etc. It's in its infancy at the moment but it is growing. I'd say that there are about 25 to 30 actively involved. By active I mean fundraising, buying flags, painting flags, organising things at the ground and trying to put on a display at the game.
Elitist? No way. Kids who can't take their ale? You'll always have those at Wigan like any other club regardless of whether or not there's an Ultras scene. Don't think there have been any recorded instances of crowd trouble linked to the group. I'm aware of a scuffle in the South a few weeks ago that led to someone being thrown out but that was nothing to do with the group.

Exact same question has been posted on the Brigantes forum recently. Did you not get a satisfactory answer ? :wink:
onedego

Post by onedego »

Jimmy Birts wrote:
Exact same question has been posted on the Brigantes forum recently. Did you not get a satisfactory answer ? :wink:
I got my satisfactory answer from there... Not sure Sue D Nym is on the brigantes forum.
Dave26

Post by Dave26 »

Sue d'Nym wrote:Just curious, I've heard several fans discuss them recently in both favourable and non favourable terms. It varies between them being the 'elite' and youngsters who can't hold their drink. I know the history of the term and the work that has gone into the flags, but it seems to be a term now that anyone is adopting for themselves if they:-

Sit at the back
Sing
Make a noise.

I'll admit to being biased on this one :wink:

But...
The term Brigantes is the name for the ultras group/movement at Wigan, the ultras ARE the Brigantes, there aren't two separate groups. This encompases those who have funded, planned and designed the flags that adorn the South Stand on match days, have helped organise and fundraise, have painted flags and banners and have now got a visible and audible presence in the stands. Not everyone involved likes to be part of a group on match days but they are no less a Brigante. We've always stressed that anybody who wants to be a Brigante and puts the effort in in one way or other (whether it be joining us on matchday and holding a flag or going to a meeting and supping a pint :wink: ) is a Brigante. There's no elitism at all, come along to S2 during a home game, say hello and get involved! I'd guess those that have banded around thoughts of elitism haven't spoken to us! A lot of effort has been put in (a lot of it behind the scenes, for instance who puts the flags on the gantry EVERY week?!), so it could be frustrating when those who haven't been involved claim to be a Brigante, but why shouldn't they be involved? There's nothing stopping them! If folk want to call themselves a Brigante then the group name must have positive connotations for them, that means we're doing something right!

With regards to the youngsters who can't handle their drink; you'll find the people that actually organise and plan behind the scenes are over 20. We've got guys and girls that join us at every game that are younger and older, that's great in my eyes! In my own personal opinion I'd like those involved on match days not to drink (or at least in moderation) as it just takes one daft move and everyone is tarred with the same brush!

Our aim is to do our bit to improve the atmosphere home and away. We'd love those with similar aspirations (or those who just love a song and dance) to come and join us, we are all Wigan fans supporting the team, folk just choose different ways to express their support!

I think we're getting somewhere anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_yGoLOY ... ideo_title

I hope some of you enjoyed the colour and noise we attempted to bring to the Saints game, we hope to grow and kick on from this! :wink:

Apologies for the essay!
Brigantes YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/WRLBrigantes
Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

Whereas in Germany there is clear distinction between Ultras (non violent) and hooligans. The UK Ultras movement is also completely non violent in nature. Besides, does anyone seriously think that we have a potential hooligan element just waiting for any excuse to let rip? No. Neither do I. There is a lot of positivity around an ultras scene. Focus on the positive and don't worry so much!
Warrriors

Post by Warrriors »

And, on a point of order, the Brigantes was a confederation of tribes across the whole of northern England in Ancient British & Roman times, so not just an ancient "Yorkshire" tribe. The people in what is now Wigan would have been Brigantes.

On another point, I think the singular of Brigantes should be Brigantis, going on what usually happens in Latin.

I'll stop now, I'm even boring myself. :roll:
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Dave26 wrote:
I'll admit to being biased on this one :wink:

But...
The term Brigantes is the name for the ultras group/movement at Wigan, the ultras ARE the Brigantes, there aren't two separate groups. This encompases those who have funded, planned and designed the flags that adorn the South Stand on match days, have helped organise and fundraise, have painted flags and banners and have now got a visible and audible presence in the stands. Not everyone involved likes to be part of a group on match days but they are no less a Brigante. We've always stressed that anybody who wants to be a Brigante and puts the effort in in one way or other (whether it be joining us on matchday and holding a flag or going to a meeting and supping a pint :wink: ) is a Brigante. There's no elitism at all, come along to S2 during a home game, say hello and get involved! I'd guess those that have banded around thoughts of elitism haven't spoken to us! A lot of effort has been put in (a lot of it behind the scenes, for instance who puts the flags on the gantry EVERY week?!), so it could be frustrating when those who haven't been involved claim to be a Brigante, but why shouldn't they be involved? There's nothing stopping them! If folk want to call themselves a Brigante then the group name must have positive connotations for them, that means we're doing something right!

With regards to the youngsters who can't handle their drink; you'll find the people that actually organise and plan behind the scenes are over 20. We've got guys and girls that join us at every game that are younger and older, that's great in my eyes! In my own personal opinion I'd like those involved on match days not to drink (or at least in moderation) as it just takes one daft move and everyone is tarred with the same brush!

Our aim is to do our bit to improve the atmosphere home and away. We'd love those with similar aspirations (or those who just love a song and dance) to come and join us, we are all Wigan fans supporting the team, folk just choose different ways to express their support!
I'd also like to point out that we get a lot of support from the club and from the RFL, especially when it comes to permissions from away grounds, including Wembley and Old Trafford. We don't just turn up with banners and stuff, we have to get clearance first for whatever we display.

Come along and get involved! The more, the merrier!

jobo

Post by jobo »

Jimmy Birts wrote:

Sit at the back
Sing
Make a noise.

Brigantes is the name given to the Ultras group.
When do you become one? Not really thought about it to be honest. We are trying to create an Ultras scene at Wigan for those who are into that type of thing. Organised singing, chanting, visual displays etc. It's in its infancy at the moment but it is growing. I'd say that there are about 25 to 30 actively involved. By active I mean fundraising, buying flags, painting flags, organising things at the ground and trying to put on a display at the game.
Elitist? No way. Kids who can't take their ale? You'll always have those at Wigan like any other club regardless of whether or not there's an Ultras scene. Don't think there have been any recorded instances of crowd trouble linked to the group. I'm aware of a scuffle in the South a few weeks ago that led to someone being thrown out but that was nothing to do with the group.

You must be doing something right as reading Red Vee, they are kicking themselves they didn't think of it first.