6,790 attendance

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: 6,790 attendance

Post by GeoffN »

I think Wembley had a lot to do with our low attendances so far (plus the lack of away fans for the Cats game), whether that's because of the cost of the Wembley weekend or the fact that having already won something this season the part-time fans are less excited about a playoff game.

Our 3 playoff games last year, without the Wembley factor, averaged something like 12-13k, and I think a lot of that was the excitement of maybe finally winning something.
AndyMc86

Post by AndyMc86 »

Hello, I'm new to this site but have a season ticket in the East stand. I havent been to the playoff games as i've been on holiday, however i would have attended at least 1 of the games, but probably not 2 due to financial reasons.

With regards to the playoff system, I think the format should be 5 teams with the winner of the regular season (or hubcap) advancing directly to the final, giving the hubcap HUGE importance and maybe the last few regular season games being more exciting rather than just fizzling out if the team has already made it to the playoffs, etc. Then 2 v 5 and 3 v 4 (effectively the quarter final). The winners of those games then play each other (semi final) for a spot in the final. This makes the playoffs shorter but in my opinion much more intense.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

ian.birchall wrote:
Sutty wrote:My own personal opinion is that the CC should be moved back to May, to give a big enough break to the players and the fans between the CC final and the end of the season, in order for the players to recover mentally and the fans to recover financially..
I believe that it will be moved next year as t'BBC will only be wanting the Para Olympics on TV at the end of August.
Next years Challenge Cup Final will be on Saturday August 25th. Tickets are already on sale.
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

AndyMc86 wrote:Hello, I'm new to this site but have a season ticket in the East stand. I havent been to the playoff games as i've been on holiday, however i would have attended at least 1 of the games, but probably not 2 due to financial reasons.

With regards to the playoff system, I think the format should be 5 teams with the winner of the regular season (or hubcap) advancing directly to the final, giving the hubcap HUGE importance and maybe the last few regular season games being more exciting rather than just fizzling out if the team has already made it to the playoffs, etc. Then 2 v 5 and 3 v 4 (effectively the quarter final). The winners of those games then play each other (semi final) for a spot in the final. This makes the playoffs shorter but in my opinion much more intense.
The problem with that is that the top team would have 2 weeks off prior to the final. Nobody seems sure if 1 week off is a great advantage, i'm sure 2 weeks would not be. Agreed that we should probably go back to fewer teams though.