RL in London

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
georgeorwell

RL in London

Post by georgeorwell »

I was in London yesterday and picked up a copy of the London evening Standard. This paper has an estimated daily readership of 1,394,000 (2010 figures). I went to the sport section. There were 11 pages in total, with 4 full pages dedicated to Union. In what has to be one of the most important weekends in the League calendar there was not one single mention of our game!

The RFL keep telling us that the game is making great strides in the south, and they seem intent on keeping Quins RL afloat no matter what the cost, without any real end product. I believe that without some high profile reporting in the main London media people will never be exposed to the game. Surely it would be worth the RFL actually buying space and mounting a major brand awareness campaign down there. I fully understand that a couple of successful pro clubs operating in the south would give the game an almost inestimable boost. Therein lies the tease - the promised land, but seemingly always just out of reach.

One thing is for sure; there is no point in just pumping money into a venture without having some clearly defined objectives, and systems for measuring outcomes. So come on RFL treat your punters with a little respect and tell us what - if any - are your plans for the expansion of the game in the south.
ancientnloyal

Re: RL in London

Post by ancientnloyal »

Harlequins' average attendance for 2011 was 3,131.

We dont need to be in London at all it isnt working... since Fulham nobody is bothered apart from 1,000 core. Workington have that many core fans (who dont always turn up but)

As BBC sport moves to Salford there is no need to be in the crapital at all.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

In todays Sunday Mirror, there is a report on Fridays game Wire v Leeds.

Nothing at all about our game last night!!! :angry:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

josie andrews wrote:In todays Sunday Mirror, there is a report on Fridays game Wire v Leeds.

Nothing at all about our game last night!!! :angry:
Just noticed myself Josie. Different paper from now on i think
BriH

Post by BriH »

An experiment that has had a long, long time to show results.
Alas, I would have to say a failure in spite of the stirling work done at the grass roots level.
Locker's #1 fan

Post by Locker's #1 fan »

if the RFL want to expand the game then why not try to put a professional outfit together in Preston or Cumbria or Derbyshire, or Staffs or elsewhere in the NW, surely a team in these areas would generate more support than one in London ffs
Tee Hee Hee
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Locker's #1 fan wrote:if the RFL want to expand the game then why not try to put a professional outfit together in Preston or Cumbria or Derbyshire, or Staffs or elsewhere in the NW, surely a team in these areas would generate more support than one in London ffs

Preston tried for a couple or so years - Lancashire Lynx played out of Deepdale. Despite them being successful on the field, gates were poor & they pulled out & went to Fylde, which was even less supported.

Cumbria cant get their own fans to agree for SL & mostly sheep country i'm afraid. Can't put their own club loyalties to one side either, & Town/Haven struggle to get 1,500 between them. Barrow too far away from rest of Cumbria to be creditable.

Staffs/Derbys - sorry, but don't know where that one comes from. Little or no grass roots basis, plus sheep country again ! Don't know where support would come from, sorry.
endoman

Post by endoman »

I wok in London a few weeks a year, there is zero interest in RL. People look at you like an Alien if you ask for it on TV.

Live in Derbyshire, again zero interest from the indigenous , this will never change, dittos Staffs, have child at Uni there, very little interest.

We ain't ever gonna expand in UK. Class system and education has done for that. Abroad, it might happen. but here, no way.

Pessimistic, but realistic