Johnson, Vatuvei, Matei all out for Kiwis

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Johnson, Vatuvei, Matei all out for Kiwis

Post by josie andrews »

The Kiwis rugby league side has been rocked with injuries, with winger Manu Vatuvei, centre Steve Matai and uncapped halfback Shaun Johnson all ruled out of their one-off test with the Kangaroos in Newcastle on October 16 due to injury.

Warriors centre Krisnan Inu and back-rower Elijah Taylor, who both played in last weekend's NRL Grand Final against the Sea Eagles, have been brought into the squad, as well as North Queensland winger Kalifa Faifai Loa.

Kiwi team doctor Simon Mayhew said Vatuvei, who has struggled with knee and wrist problems throughout the season, needed end-of-season treatment for his injuries, possibly including surgery.

Mayhew added that Johnson required a period of rest to fully recover from a back injury he has carried throughout the season.

Matai meanwhile has a recent history of shoulder and neck complaints, which flared up again during the Sea Eagles' grand final victory. Medical staff have told Mayhew that Matai may need off-season surgery.

Taylor and Faifai Loa are both uncapped, with Taylor only making his NRL debut for the Warriors this season, while Inu played four tests for New Zealand between 2007 and 2008.

Including Taylor and Faifai Loa, the Kiwis now have seven players yet to play a test, with Warriors Kevin Locke and prop Russell Packer, Broncos' Gerard Beale and Alex Glenn and Storm second-rower Kevin Proctor all untried at international level.

KIWIS: Gerard Beale (Broncos), Adam Blair (Storm). Lewis Brown (Warriors), Kalifa Faifai Loa (Cowboys), Nathan Fien (Dragons), Kieran Foran (Sea Eagles), Alex Glenn (Broncos), Krisnan Inu (Warriors), Thomas Leuluai (Wigan), Kevin Locke (Warriors), Issac Luke (Rabbitohs), Sam McKendry (Panthers), Simon Mannering (Warriors), Sika Manu (Storm), Benji Marshall (c) (Tigers), Ben Matulino (Warriors), Moimoi (Eels), Jason Nightingale (Dragons), Russell Packer (Warriors), Kevin Proctor (Storm), Jeremy Smith (Sharks), Elijah Taylor (Warriors), Manu Vatuvei (Warriors), Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Roosters).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/575 ... -for-Kiwis
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Re: Johnson, Vatuvei, Matei all out for Kiwis

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Was so looking forward to seeing Shaun Johnson play over here. Some talent he has and I think he would have been on fire against England and the Taffies, mores the pity.
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Was so looking forward to seeing Shaun Johnson play over here. Some talent he has and I think he would have been on fire against England and the Taffies, mores the pity.
Me too. His highlights reel on youtube is brilliant and you would think he'd have to have been around for years for all those bits, not 16 games or whatever it is. Wembley will be the first time i've seen Marshall play in the flesh so still looking forward to it.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

yoda warrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Was so looking forward to seeing Shaun Johnson play over here. Some talent he has and I think he would have been on fire against England and the Taffies, mores the pity.
Me too. His highlights reel on youtube is brilliant and you would think he'd have to have been around for years for all those bits, not 16 games or whatever it is. Wembley will be the first time i've seen Marshall play in the flesh so still looking forward to it.
Someone said to me that the clips of Johnson playing Rugby Touch on Youtube, he is only 15 years old.
Some skills on show at that age if it is true.