Re: Who??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I would suggest that playing Charnley or Goulding at centre with Ryan King on the wing is perhaps the best option. Perhaps a spot will become available for a fully fit Amos Roberts?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

God wrote:So none of the under 20s lads apart from King sould get a spot next season in your opinion Cp??

Not good :conf:
In the backs, Matty Russell is a decent fullback, King a winger and Mellor/Powell in the halves. Not sure it would work but I would be interested seeing Mellor play centre if Wigan do not want him to play 6.

The forwards, you are looking at Jack Hughes, Dom Crosby, Tom Spencer, Logan Tomkins, Greg Burke.

After that there is a bit of a gulf unless somebody emerges. The U16's from last year are a much better crop than say the last 2 years.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Nobody knows Cherry re Mellor at centre. I do not know but size/strength is not everything. Carmont is not particularly big, Zak Hardaker is not particularly big. I would have elected Dean Bell to fight to the death for me but he was not big. If anything Wigan need a speed boost.

An outside the club option IMO would be possibly to take a look at Sam Smeaton of Featherstone.
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

cherry.pie wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Nobody knows Cherry re Mellor at centre. I do not know but size/strength is not everything. Carmont is not particularly big, Zak Hardaker is not particularly big. I would have elected Dean Bell to fight to the death for me but he was not big. If anything Wigan need a speed boost.

An outside the club option IMO would be possibly to take a look at Sam Smeaton of Featherstone.
I know what you mean about Hardaker, he's not really a powerful player but he's impressive at centre, although it seems he's not as small as you think he is. He's 6 foot 2 and 90 kilos (about 14 stone) apparently.
Mellor is about 5 foot 10 and 74 kilos so there's a bit of a difference.
It might be worth a go, but I just don't really see centre are a position that would suit him.
So am I, bang me in there i'll do a job . :D
Up The Mont!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Much will depend on what positions become available through injury, but I actually think Powell's moved ahead of Mellor in the halves at present, since Joe came back from his injury he's not been quite as explosive.

King & Russell definitely, but I don't think any of the others are quite ready yet.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Sorted. TonyH at centre. We could double his army wage and not dent the salary cap.

Meant as a joke but ironic really asking a lad to put his neck on the line for his club instead of putting his life on the line for his country.

And paying him more!

My bad!
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

cherry.pie wrote:The problem is that Wigan don't seem to produce centres that are definitely good enough.
I think it is a problem in the English game, not only at Wigan.

If you look around, where are there any English centre's that can compete with the size and physicality of the Aussies. The only English centre in recent years that has been in that class IMHO is Keith Senior. I was hoping we could make a centre out of Joel, he's got the size and pace, he lacks the experience in the position I know, but I do think he's been much better than people give him credit for. Sadly it looks like he's going to leave.
I think it's a step inside for Josh and A. N. Other on the wing.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Ian Thornley back from Union.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

God wrote:To Wigan? is this a possibility?
Not to my knowledge BUT why not. Indeed, why not look to sign Union players and take Union on.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

IMO, No. I think IL like every owner in RL want the kudos of being the owner of a club for minimum, pref no outlay. No reason why they could not take the RU on though albeit clearly not at the very elite level bar disgruntled players. Plenty of great young undscovered talent too.

The compensation figure I have heard is Tomkins contract AND extra. It exceeds anything Wigan ever paid for a player in the halcyon days of Lindsay et al.