Keep the playoffs change the title?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Keep the playoffs change the title?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Ive heard a lot of people knocking the playoff system and how it rewards basically playing a few good games when you can be largly sh~te the entire season.

I made a point of saying a while ago no that despite at the time leeds having a 50% win ratio they were still in shot with the chance of the double and boy did they come close!!.

IMO its wrong that the league leaders isnt celebrated more than the playoffs but i like the playoff structure.

So here's my suggestion, you change what the win is classed as. You cannot be crowned "Superleague Champions" unless you couple the playoff win with the hub cap. If you dont you only earn Playoff winners title or something similar like minor champions.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Re: Keep the playoffs change the title?

Post by cpwigan »

League Leaders represent SL in the WCC. Raise the profile / value of the greater achievement. The true champions.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

100% agree CP
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

CC is the big knockout comp.

The league is 'the league'.

End of season play off for a different trophy (premiership) and a double header at OT. I know it's going back in time but it is IMO the best format. And as CP says, WWC for the league winners.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Those who complain about SKY would do well to remember how much investment they have made to Rugby League. We were struggling until they came along. Not terminal as some commentators say, but certainly nowhere near the game we have today. The pluses vastly outweigh the minuses.

There are many blogs complaining about the Grand Final. They must have gone or watched a different game from the one I witnessed at Old Trafford. This was a great advert for a great game. I really felt for Saints though. It's tough to lose 5 on the trot, and while they are our traditional enemies, their fans haven't behaved towards Wigan like some of the Leeds ones. That said, on the day, Leeds were the better side, and no-one will be arguing against the hobbit winning the Harry Sunderland award.

But the whole thing does make you question the end of season play offs. How a team 5th. in the league can claim the championship makes you wonder. Warrington are the true champions in my opinion, and should be given the credit due them. 1100 points and such attractive and open rugby deserves credit. For Leeds to have lost 11 games, be 13 points behind the Wire and claim the championship beggars belief. It's just not right.

The crowds at the play offs did tell a story that the RL fan base wasn't so impressed either with the concept. We did have 2 great semis and a wonderful final, but the rest were less than inspiring. Perhaps there should be a points difference maximum to get into the final play offs. If we had set a maximum of 10 points this season, then only Wigan and Saints would have had the right to compete with the Wire. I'd have been happier with that.
Stevethegas