Joel to Union

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Kiwiseddon

Re: Joel to Union

Post by Kiwiseddon »

That could be the nail in the coffin. Such a shame. Our game's going to the dogs IMO but money talks and I don't really blame Joel.

The RFL have to do something....... But they won't!
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
shevington

Post by shevington »

God wrote:
shevington wrote:Definitely gone.
You still havent provided evidence.
I don't have solid evidence, only word of mouth from a good source.

Dissappointing not just for Wigan, but for our game in general.

How long will it be before Sam and Charnley go?

Who will be next?.. I bet a few Saints players are being eyed up also.

The SC is ruining our game.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Welski wrote:
warrior1989 wrote:Just bin on news on wish fm, joel as asked to not be picked for england for personal reason, hes going to union is that the personal reasons ? it's starting to add up now aint it.

Who says Rugby League is a minority sport these days. Check out the excellent coverage from Today's Guardian. (Nice picture of Joel Tomkins)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/oc ... ur-nations
Fixed your link - :)

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

That picture is not of Joel!!! It's Pat Richards!!!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
shevington

Post by shevington »

idiots! :lol:
markill

Post by markill »

Welski wrote:
warrior1989 wrote:Just bin on news on wish fm, joel as asked to not be picked for england for personal reason, hes going to union is that the personal reasons ? it's starting to add up now aint it.

Who says Rugby League is a minority sport these days. Check out the excellent coverage from Today's Guardian. (Nice picture of Joel Tomkins)

Does that mean Pat's going to union too? ;-)

This has had me feeling really deflated - but then i remembered I love rugby League becuase the players aren't just doing it for the money.

Super League will still exist if all Wigan's young stars go to Union. Wigan Rugby League will still exist. The game will be the same and more talent will come through. The sport doesn't get the same financial backing Union gets and they want our players more than the NRL does so we'll have to get used to losing them from our game for the time being.

You need to remember that without the salary cap we might not even have a league in the first place because teams are having massive financial struggles with it in place - they'd just disappear if things like salary cap didn't exist. Although I do support the view that RFL should do more to top up wages of England players and do more to encourage our young players about the future our game can give them at the top level.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
GBH

Post by GBH »

josie andrews wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/oc ... ur-nations

Are You sure its Pat it looks more like Joel?
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots
neilbass

Post by neilbass »

I'd say it is Joel
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote:
Super League will still exist if all Wigan's young stars go to Union. Wigan Rugby League will still exist. The game will be the same and more talent will come through.
How can it be the same with the best players lost too it? It can't. The idea we should shrug our shoulders and accept it makes it inevitable the game will wither as this talent you think will come through will in fact be second rate.

You need to remember that without the salary cap we might not even have a league in the first place because teams are having massive financial struggles with it in place - they'd just disappear if things like salary cap didn't exist. Although I do support the view that RFL should do more to top up wages of England players and do more to encourage our young players about the future our game can give them at the top level.
A salary cap based on income would solve that issue and allow higher wages to be paid. It certainly isn't true the current flat rate cap has altered who wins the trophies. It's the same big clubs all the time.

We also have the ludicrous situation where the RFL appear to be intent on paying the wages of a 37 year old RU has been and RL never-was - Gareth Thomas while we sit here waiting for the inevitable loss of a 24 year old rising star.

It's also worth saying neither JT or IL are blameless in this.

IL could have knocked the deal on the head and he should be far more concerned about keeping players like JT than signing Thomas.

If IL lets him leave he has no hold over any player and that is not good enough. If it came down to it and Joel went into a sulk for being told to honour is contract I'd put him on gardening leave to make the point if you sign a contract you stick too it.

And JT should stick to his word and see his contract out. All this "I can't blame him for going for more money or internationals" - well he should have thought of that before spouting off and signing a five year deal.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

GBH wrote:
josie andrews wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/oc ... ur-nations

Are You sure its Pat it looks more like Joel?
That's not the original picture !!!

They must have realised their mistake!