Such a missed opportunity

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Such a missed opportunity

Post by cpwigan »

I do not buy into the fatugue factor. The players from Day 1 (MM) of the 2011 Season were too inconsistent and mentally weak resulting in silly draws/defeats. So when asked to produce big games regularly they found it impossible to do so BURNING out after a QF and Semi Final. The mental toughness and professionalism of Wigan in 2011 was found wanting.
enterprisecranes

Post by enterprisecranes »

DaveO wrote:
warrior1989 wrote:A scary thought with Leeds winning aswell is, if Wigan hadn't beaten them in the cc final then Leeds would have won the double. A team who have lets face it bin $h!t all year and had a good run at the end could have won the double !
That is because we have just got two knock out competitions now. The structure of the current play offs makes it much easier for teams who finish lower down to win it. It's already been said Leeds are the first to win it from 5th completely ignoring it was far harder to do so from 1998 to 2001 when we used the top five system for example.
My thoughts are these teams who had lots of injury problems first half of the season,have played alot less games therefore imo seemed fresher than us,As we know MM didnt hardly ever rest our players .
enterprisecranes

Post by enterprisecranes »

[quote="cpwigan"]I do not buy into the fatugue factor. The players from Day 1 (MM) of the 2011 Season were too inconsistent and mentally weak resulting in silly draws/defeats. So when asked to produce big games regularly they found it impossible to do so BURNING out after a QF and Semi Final. The mental toughness and professionalism of Wigan in 2011 was found wanting.[/quote
#
AGREE. But why.? and whats the answer?

MM is an aussie surely he could see this?

What changed from 2010-2011]
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

enterprisecrane​s​ wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I do not buy into the fatugue factor. The players from Day 1 (MM) of the 2011 Season were too inconsistent and mentally weak resulting in silly draws/defeats. So when asked to produce big games regularly they found it impossible to do so BURNING out after a QF and Semi Final. The mental toughness and professionalism of Wigan in 2011 was found wanting.[/quote
#

I think Madge despite what he officially said realised that there is a limit to how far you can take / push British sportsmen/women. A bit of success sees egos soon get out of control.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

cpwigan wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I do not buy into the fatugue factor. The players from Day 1 (MM) of the 2011 Season were too inconsistent and mentally weak resulting in silly draws/defeats. So when asked to produce big games regularly they found it impossible to do so BURNING out after a QF and Semi Final. The mental toughness and professionalism of Wigan in 2011 was found wanting.[/quote
#

I think Madge despite what he officially said realised that there is a limit to how far you can take / push British sportsmen/women. A bit of success sees egos soon get out of control.
Doesn't happen for cyclists

Boardman > Quealey > Wiggins/Hoy/Staff/Cavendish et al
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

ancientnloyal wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
enterprisecrane​s​ wrote: I think Madge despite what he officially said realised that there is a limit to how far you can take / push British sportsmen/women. A bit of success sees egos soon get out of control.
Doesn't happen for cyclists

Boardman > Quealey > Wiggins/Hoy/Staff/Cavendish et al
Has any won the Tour De France?

I rest my case :exc:
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I disagree CP, there's a difference between being at the pinnacle of your own personal capabilities and winning the toughest bike race in the world.

Your moment would suggest that anyone, with the right training, could beat Usain Bolt.
There's more to it than that, bio mechanics have a large part to play too

TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Sutty wrote:I disagree CP, there's a difference between being at the pinnacle of your own personal capabilities and winning the toughest bike race in the world.

Your moment would suggest that anyone, with the right training, could beat Usain Bolt.
There was that awkward moment last week when I was out jogging and someone mistook me for Usain Bolt :o
Up The Mont!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sutty wrote:I disagree CP, there's a difference between being at the pinnacle of your own personal capabilities and winning the toughest bike race in the world.

Not sure what your point is Sutty
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:
#

Said very much the same months ago about Nathen Brown and the squad of players he has and why they appear to go stale at specific periods of the season.
Althletes of a limited ability can only be pushed so far before they become broken.