How to save Rugby League

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
warriordp

Re: How to save Rugby League

Post by warriordp »

First thing to change has got to be the referee structure ,what a farce .Ganson , Bentham ,Silverwood involved in every big match so no competition to them really ,which equals poor ref performances .The 10 metre rule in the play offs was an absolute farce . These guys control who wins the game make no mistake ,and God help you if you criticise them .More Refs need promotong from lower tier and Amateur game or else it will never change .When an English Ref officiates an International involving England Or GB ,they absolutley hammer us so as not to be seen biased,but when the boot is on the other foot ie. Aus ,NZ ref there own teams they are openly in favour of there own nations re 50/50 calls and such.time for change me thinks .. :conf: :conf:
Stormfan

Post by Stormfan »

josie andrews wrote:Get rid of the current RFL board - easy :wink:
you can have david giddyup ceo of the nrl
over the hill

Post by over the hill »

Stormfan wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Get rid of the current RFL board - easy :wink:
you can have david giddyup ceo of the nrl
we are trying to make thing better not worse :wink: :lol:
bobbyb

Post by bobbyb »

why dont the club chairmen do something to save rugby league or are they happy with everything the donkeys do?
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

bobbyb wrote:why dont the club chairmen do something to save rugby league or are they happy with everything the donkeys do?
Its the chairmen of the clubs who vote all the matters of RL so they are to blame as well .
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Just a thought at the concept of SL with MO's idea to amalgate clubs .Would we be in a better position now or worse????
Would it work now????
Clubs would have been in a better financial position for a start off.ie Stadia to sell.
We would have had a SL team in Cumbria for a start off.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

We've already HAD a super league team in Cumbria, called Workington Town. It failed miserably, after lasting just one season and financially ALMOST permanently crippled Town thereafter!
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Nezza Faz wrote:We've already HAD a super league team in Cumbria, called Workington Town. It failed miserably, after lasting just one season and financially ALMOST permanently crippled Town thereafter!

No the Cumbria team that MO envisaged would have been Workington ,Whitehaven and Barrow amalgamated
Still would not have worked as their too much animosity between fans.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

It has been said that Rugby League must be a great game when you consider how badly it's been run. I'm not sure that's always fair, but there is an element of truth in it.

The range of comments above certainly lends weight to the view that the RFL isn't always doing what it might. I would agree with some comments, but actually the one thing they have done better recently is balance the books. But why choose the August bank holiday weekend for the challenge cup is one example of poor planning. Too near the end of the season, and it's meant that doing a double is well nigh impossible - witness Warrington last season and Wigan this.

Actually I don't agree with limiting the numbers of clubs who apply for SL licences to only 10 or 12. It's the fixture list that we need to sort. There is no doubt at all that the license structure and the demands made on clubs to get a license have improved the game and its standing in the country. Don't let's condemn clubs which don't make it to an eternal second class. I do believe we can manage with 16 or even more clubs provided they don't have to play every other club home and away each season. A rule could be made that each club must play every other super league club home and away at least once every two seasons.
Tweak the fixtures so that each club must play (for example) at least 20 games per season, and then a play off for the Grand Final makes more sense.
To get into the play off any club needs to have scored within 10 league points of the league leaders. The league leaders 'hubcap' needs to be upgraded to give it the credit it's due.
I remain unsure about the video referee. Though with the money from SKY this is one genie that definitely won't go back into the bottle. I've no issue with the referee asking for a matter of fact. e.g. Was the ball grounded? Was there a foot in touch? Was it a 40/20 etc. But on whether it's a try or not, better in my opinion to make a decision at the game and allow the captains 2 appeals per game. A successful appeal wouldn't count of course.
Finally, one thing we need to do is make all the national contracts to be held by the RFL. With that and a fund for a bonus (well yes, a bribe if you prefer) for those players who learned their trade in League and play professionally for 10 years with no distractions for other sports. May be controversial, but actually we do need to recognise the threat from Union, even if Union isn't in the best financial or managerial health itself.
Stevethegas