Joel moves closer to RU switch

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
josie andrews

Re: Money makes the world go round.

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I can't see the point of that post as it was dated Wednesday 9th March 2011
The point is it was only March this year and not long after he had signed a new five year deal with Wigan he was being quoted as saying:

“I’m happy at Wigan playing in this team. We’ve got a backbone of young players here and I want to stay around and play rugby with my best friends.”

So the point is since he ended up at the James Grant sports agency which was about a month ago it means he is now no longer "happy at Wigan playing in this team" and does not "want to stay around and play rugby with his best friends".

And this about face happened between March and September in a cup winning year when he scored the try of the season so he was hardly in a bad place.

If he does move I hope someone flings that quote back at him and asks him what has changed.
Because there wasn't a link, I assumed it was 'new' news! When posted the link I just thought enterprisecranes had made an error. We sorted out :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

AdamMac wrote:
DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I can't see the point of that post as it was dated Wednesday 9th March 2011
The point is it was only March this year and not long after he had signed a new five year deal with Wigan he was being quoted as saying:

“I’m happy at Wigan playing in this team. We’ve got a backbone of young players here and I want to stay around and play rugby with my best friends.”

So the point is since he ended up at the James Grant sports agency which was about a month ago it means he is now no longer "happy at Wigan playing in this team" and does not "want to stay around and play rugby with his best friends".

And this about face happened between March and September in a cup winning year when he scored the try of the season so he was hardly in a bad place.

If he does move I hope someone flings that quote back at him and asks him what has changed.
I tell you what happened. He got offered a lot more money which will know doubt set him up for the rest of his LIFE not just playing career.

I'm currently happy in my job and like my work mates/environment but if I got a job offer with a 10k increase I'd be off in a shot.

Nobody can blame him.
Well I do. If you sign contracts you should honour them. If you don't want to be signed up for five years don't sign five year contracts and don't spout stuff as in the quoted article. There are a lot of people who are sick and tired of the money grabbing nature our society at the moment and if JT has asked to be let go as soon as his new agents started offering him to RU clubs it does him no credit.

I hope Wigan extract a lot of cash from Sarries and if it not forthcoming tell them no deal. Wigan comes first not the players.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

DaveO wrote:
AdamMac wrote:
DaveO wrote: The point is it was only March this year and not long after he had signed a new five year deal with Wigan he was being quoted as saying:

I tell you what happened. He got offered a lot more money which will know doubt set him up for the rest of his LIFE not just playing career.

I'm currently happy in my job and like my work mates/environment but if I got a job offer with a 10k increase I'd be off in a shot.

Nobody can blame him.
Well I do. If you sign contracts you should honour them. If you don't want to be signed up for five years don't sign five year contracts and don't spout stuff as in the quoted article. There are a lot of people who are sick and tired of the money grabbing nature our society at the moment and if JT has asked to be let go as soon as his new agents started offering him to RU clubs it does him no credit.

I hope Wigan extract a lot of cash from Sarries and if it not forthcoming tell them no deal. Wigan comes first not the players.
I'm glad he signed a 5 year contract, if he didn't we wouldn't be recieving a significant fee from Sarries and christ knows what you would think then! so it's lose/lose with you then Dave?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Contracts should be honored, politicians should be clean cut, governments should be honest, benefits should be for the needy, children shouldnt starve, people should not be discriminated against, celebrities should be role models, marriage should be for life ya ya ya ya ya ya ya

do you not get bored of stating blatant idealistic principles dave, this is the REAL world money talks and quite frankly anyone who doesn't think Joel should move when he has the chance to secure his and his family's future financially for the rest of his years is selfish or jealous
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Contracts should be honored, politicians should be clean cut, governments should be honest, benefits should be for the needy, children shouldnt starve, people should not be discriminated against, celebrities should be role models, marriage should be for life ya ya ya ya ya ya ya

do you not get bored of stating blatant idealistic principles dave, this is the REAL world money talks and quite frankly anyone who doesn't think Joel should move when he has the chance to secure his and his family's future financially for the rest of his years is selfish or jealous
Very well said, I couldn't have put it better myself.
Some of the ideals and principals being banded about on here are all well and good, in a perfect world. But, unfortunately, this is 2011 and money is the biggest most single factor in most peoples lives. I go to work so that I can provide for my family and if someone offered me a huge pay rise to change companies, I'd be off in a shot. I bet the club are glad that Joel has only just signed a 5 year contract. Just imagine how sick they and the fans would be if Joel left for nothing?

Yes we'll miss him as a player, but the club will carry on and we'll replac him.

Owd Codger

Re: Joel moves closer to RU switch

Post by Owd Codger »

Union clubs can offer a lot of money for players, but when it comes to building a new ground, they don't want to know

A example being Sale Sharks, who now want to play at the new Salford ground.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Contracts should be honored, politicians should be clean cut, governments should be honest, benefits should be for the needy, children shouldnt starve, people should not be discriminated against, celebrities should be role models, marriage should be for life ya ya ya ya ya ya ya

Smashing repost for the snipers of Joel. This is a young man who on any given day could have his career ended in an instance both in League and yawnion.At least he is being given an opportunity all be it with yawnion to improve his standard of living and a much more enhanced future.I along with others am saddened that an other talented player feels the need to cross codes to achieve a suitable cash incentive for plying his trade.But unless the rfl do something about the drain of talent from our game this will continue to be the case for many years to come.I for one will wish Joel or whomever wishes to earn more money all the luck in the world. :D
RuFFFnecK

Post by RuFFFnecK »

Finally some straight to the point sense! I don't know what kind of dream world some of these guys live in but come on, be true to yourselves - wouldn't you do the same given the opportunity?!?!

I say good luck to JT...what will be, will be - lets move on.
:: FOREVER, ANCIENT & LOYAL ::
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The real world of sport and sporting contracts is clearly something you do not understand. I am sick to death of the parallels people keep drawing between professional sportsmen on fixed term contracts and the rest of us who are ordinary employees on a months notice because there aren't any.

If Wigan do not get offered what they deem enough compensation for JT then they should say no deal. The fact if they said "yes" to a sub standard offer that might allow JT to set himself up for life has nothing to do with it. If Wigan said no, the deal would simply not happen. Sarries would not go to court to force the issue because if they did it would set a precident for all sport that as soon as any player was offered more money he could leave. They do not want that any more than Wigan do.

The opinions expressed in this thread that we should wish JT on his way because he can earn a packet baffle me because if you think that then you can wave bye bye to any decent player we may produce. Any.

The club is just not tenable as a going concern as a professional entity if as soon as someone waves the cheque book at a player they can leave. Contracts should only be allowed to be broken if it is deemed to be in Wigan's interest. No other reason.