Joel moves closer to RU switch

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
butt monkey

Re: Joel moves closer to RU switch

Post by butt monkey »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
butt monkey wrote:If I were you Dave I would "give up". Fans either don't understand or don't want to understand exactly what you are attempting to explain to them. Myself I think it is the former :wink:
So by that post BM you are suggesting that posters that don't agree with DaveO's posts/opinion are either more likely to be thick/stupid or narrow minded and can't accept other peoples opinions? Well I personally take offence to that because I completely understand what DaveO is saying and agree that it should be expected that a player should see out his contract as I have said on previous posts, but I am open minded enough to also realise that this is NEVER going to happen because we do not live in an IDEAL world. Therefore, others should stop arguing a point that to be honest is falling on deaf ears and has no real relevance because that is not the way it is or ever going to be in sport. I think one thing we all agree on or at least should agree on is that WIGAN WARRIORS RLFC is what matters and I am sure we will be just fine with or without JT. Finally just for the record good luck to JT whatever he decides to do because if he goes I for one do not blame him because whether we like it or not MONEY makes the world go round and if he stays he will always give 100% for us because that is the type of bloke he is. End of story.
What I am saying is that some fans are so entrenched in their opinion over this, that no matter how it is explained, they simply think it is fair for him to just up sticks and swap clubs simply because Wigan cannot (or will not) offer the same amount in wages.

No one (unless they are simple) would work or play for less money than they can possible earn. However (and this is what is the stumbling block), he was happy enough 7 months ago to sign a brand new 5 year deal. I never believe the bullshite that he is "happy" or never wants to play for any other club and win things at that club - that is just the usual rhetoric you get when any players signs for any club. But he does have this deal, one that binds him to Wigan (and Wigan to him :wink: ) for five years.

I cannot understand why he was allowed to talk to (was he by the club?) another club for his services! Especially when he already has this agreement with Wigan. What inducements and money Joel received for signing is anyone's guess, and what inducements and money Joel will get for breaking his contract and signing for another club is also anyone's guess (and yes - they are guesses as he will not tell anyone as a matter of fact).

I have no qualms with Joel going (even less when they have seen out their contracts and decide to "move on"). This is different. If he wants to leave he should either "buy out" the remainder of his contract (as sometimes happens in football in order to obtain a release) or the club offering him huge increases in his wage stop dicking around with Joel's future and at the same time treating Wigan and their fans like muppets and pay the necessary (and reasonable considering the remainder of Joel's contract remaining) transfer fee Wigan must be asking.

This rumour broke some few weeks ago, last week the Evening Post stated it had "moved even closer" - yet another week has gone and still nothing! This is turning into a farce and I have no doubt assumptions were made that Joel would either come "cheap" or even maybe "free" if just unsettled enough to want away and if some fans had been in charge of the club, that is exactly what would have happened :conf:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

By his request he dropped out the internationals. By anyones standards he was not up for the semi. This rumour rages on without clarification. Maybe the parting of the ways is not being JT led. There is an option that has yet to be raised. We have much regard to JT but is that an opinion shared within club management. Have we a big name to be announced after the 4 nations that needs cap released. SBW? What we do know is JT lost his place in the second row and was suspect at centre. Maybe there was no room at Second row and his discontentment was playing centre. He signed 5 year deal for one position and ended up in another. Maybe there is the reason for the talks outwith. Maybe it is blackmail to get switched back within WW. Waying up the evidence I believe there is more to the move than just money. JIm
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

butt monkey wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
butt monkey wrote:If I were you Dave I would "give up". Fans either don't understand or don't want to understand exactly what you are attempting to explain to them. Myself I think it is the former :wink:
So by that post BM you are suggesting that posters that don't agree with DaveO's posts/opinion are either more likely to be thick/stupid or narrow minded and can't accept other peoples opinions? Well I personally take offence to that because I completely understand what DaveO is saying and agree that it should be expected that a player should see out his contract as I have said on previous posts, but I am open minded enough to also realise that this is NEVER going to happen because we do not live in an IDEAL world. Therefore, others should stop arguing a point that to be honest is falling on deaf ears and has no real relevance because that is not the way it is or ever going to be in sport. I think one thing we all agree on or at least should agree on is that WIGAN WARRIORS RLFC is what matters and I am sure we will be just fine with or without JT. Finally just for the record good luck to JT whatever he decides to do because if he goes I for one do not blame him because whether we like it or not MONEY makes the world go round and if he stays he will always give 100% for us because that is the type of bloke he is. End of story.
What I am saying is that some fans are so entrenched in their opinion over this, that no matter how it is explained, they simply think it is fair for him to just up sticks and swap clubs simply because Wigan cannot (or will not) offer the same amount in wages.

No one (unless they are simple) would work or play for less money than they can possible earn. However (and this is what is the stumbling block), he was happy enough 7 months ago to sign a brand new 5 year deal. I never believe the bullshite that he is "happy" or never wants to play for any other club and win things at that club - that is just the usual rhetoric you get when any players signs for any club. But he does have this deal, one that binds him to Wigan (and Wigan to him :wink: ) for five years.

I cannot understand why he was allowed to talk to (was he by the club?) another club for his services! Especially when he already has this agreement with Wigan. What inducements and money Joel received for signing is anyone's guess, and what inducements and money Joel will get for breaking his contract and signing for another club is also anyone's guess (and yes - they are guesses as he will not tell anyone as a matter of fact).

I have no qualms with Joel going (even less when they have seen out their contracts and decide to "move on"). This is different. If he wants to leave he should either "buy out" the remainder of his contract (as sometimes happens in football in order to obtain a release) or the club offering him huge increases in his wage stop dicking around with Joel's future and at the same time treating Wigan and their fans like muppets and pay the necessary (and reasonable considering the remainder of Joel's contract remaining) transfer fee Wigan must be asking.

This rumour broke some few weeks ago, last week the Evening Post stated it had "moved even closer" - yet another week has gone and still nothing! This is turning into a farce and I have no doubt assumptions were made that Joel would either come "cheap" or even maybe "free" if just unsettled enough to want away and if some fans had been in charge of the club, that is exactly what would have happened :conf:
Fair post BM! :)
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

No problem TBW.

I do have one thing to add, seeing as Highland Convert is speculating about Joel losing his position as being one possible reason for the change of heart.

Does anyone remember Barrie John Mather? He signed a deal at Wigan and then within a few months time claimed he did not understand what he had signed and felt he had been "coerced" into signing against his will (and without a manager!) He ended up leaving for Rugby Union under dubious circumstances.

Maybe (seeing as we are all guessing) that Joel IS simple/weak-minded and overall pretty damn stupid, that he doesn't understand contracts and signed the one with Wigan without due consideration or thought???

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

butt monkey wrote:No problem TBW.

I do have one thing to add, seeing as Highland Convert is speculating about Joel losing his position as being one possible reason for the change of heart.

Does anyone remember Barrie John Mather? He signed a deal at Wigan and then within a few months time claimed he did not understand what he had signed and felt he had been "coerced" into signing against his will (and without a manager!) He ended up leaving for Rugby Union under dubious circumstances.

Maybe (seeing as we are all guessing) that Joel IS simple/weak-minded and overall pretty damn stupid, that he doesn't understand contracts and signed the one with Wigan without due consideration or thought???
It is definitely another way of looking at it/possibility!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

butt monkey wrote:No problem TBW.

If I remember correctly Barrie Jon Mather left Wigan to play Rugby League in Australia (Perth?) When he came back he went to Cas and then played RU for Sale where he got an England RU cap. I think he's now involved in the England RL academy development programme.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

According to wiki:
Despite his school boy success Barrie-Jon Mather decided that his future lay in Rugby League and eventually signed for the Wigan Warriors in 1992. He saw domestic success with Wigan and was a member of the Challenge Cup Winning side of 1994 as well as a member of the side that defeated the Brisbane Broncos in the 1994 World Club Challenge held at Brisbane's ANZ Stadium. However relations between the two turned sour when Mather claimed his contract was null and void because of the circumstances in which it was signed. Mather eventually took Wigan to Court when they refused to release his registration without a transfer fee following him signing a contract with Western Reds in Australia. However he was unsuccessful in his challenge.

Mather played a summer stint for the Western Reds in 1995 while at Wigan and fell in love with the Australian way of life. He eventually signed a three year deal with the club but was unable to complete the move as he claimed to be a free agent but Wigan retained his registration. After a bitter Court battle he was eventually transferred from Wigan to Perth for an undisclosed fee thought to be in the region of £100,000. After two mixed seasons in the NRL in which he scored 5 tries for the Club, the Western Reds suffered financial difficulties and Mather was released.
Barrie-Jon Mather is the only player to win Great Britain caps whilst at the Western Reds.

Mather signed for Castleford Tigers in October 1997 following the financial problems of the Western Reds. He stated that Stuart Raper had spoken to him whilst out in Perth for the World Club Challenge match and convinced him Castleford was the club for him. He played for Castleford for just one season before making a big money switch to rugby union.
Appears he couldn't make his mind up which club was "best for him"" I bet he loved all those signing on fees though :wink:

WW99

Post by WW99 »

Ashton was on Talksport today plugging his book (probably a hefty deal), I got the impression he didn't want to be asked about players leaving league so the Tomkins brothers weren't discussed. Seems he believes players need to leave for Union when they're younng not just to learn the game but give them an exit strategy back to league.

What did come across was how everyoness focus is on the 2015 World Cup, it's four years away yet on a sports station still gets more publicity than tomorrows Four Nations games, that's the difference.
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

A thread on RLFans says that this will be announced tomorrow .

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

botica

Post by botica »

jonnorobertson Jonno Robertson
Big news coming today form James Grant Rugby.....

taken from Twitter earlier and was retweeted by Sam :(

Sam then undid his retweet :(((
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010