Giving youth a chance; fans with short memories

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Giving youth a chance; fans with short memories

Post by cpwigan »

Fans have short memories, Sam T was too small, too risky to let him play first team, far better to sign Tim Smith etc. Noble was right, duty of care blah blah blah.

RE young players? I am of the opinion that unless new players offer something so much better / unique then why bother with players from elsewhere.

I read people saying look how big Dudson is etc. Are Crosby and Spencer not big? are they not schooled in the Wigan coaching ploys (4+ years) ?. Dudson is fat, he looks like me not a rugby player and has no understanding of how Wigan play. Some people whose opinions I respect talk about potential, how long will it take Dudson to get fit, schooled in Wigan techniques? What about the potential of Crosby and Spencer.

Again, Flower what does he offer? Far better to give Greg Burke or Jack Hughes a go as they could become fantastic whereas Flower IMO never will. I personally think Greg Burke has full international potential, the RFL have always thought so at schoolboy, at academy level etc.

Look how much better Widdop is a year on or Jack Reed after a full season of first team elite RL. The great Jack Gibson once said give me a player that is improving every week because I do not know where/when he will stop improving. Give Crosby/Spencer/Burke/Hughes an opportunity alongside experienced proffesionals like Lima, Fielden, Hansen, Lockers etc. The secret has always been to bring a youngster into an environment surrounded by those role models to keep that conveyor belt turnover of talent. Wigan declined when they broke tht cyclical turnover/introduction of very talented players.

Lauaki is a gamble worth taking. An exciting one IMO. He may offer something very different but gambling has to be calculated and limited. The more one gambles, the more likely one loses.
DaveO

Re: Giving youth a chance; fans with short memories

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Fans have short memories, Sam T was too small, too risky to let him play first team, far better to sign Tim Smith etc. Noble was right, duty of care blah blah blah.

RE young players? I am of the opinion that unless new players offer something so much better / unique then why bother with players from elsewhere.
I don't disagree and also wonder why we have gone after the Crusaders players. People saying Dudson has potential probably are not wrong and are also being optimistic and kind but I don't see the need.

However....
Lauaki is a gamble worth taking. An exciting one IMO. He may offer something very different but gambling has to be calculated and limited. The more one gambles, the more likely one loses.
That could be used to justify the signing of any player and is at complete odds to the rest of your post.

His form at Hull over the last two season has not marked him out as "something so much better / unique". He's not as good the the forwards we have lost or will lose (Joel).
Wes

Post by Wes »

Dudson and Flower are good in an average side, they are very young and could be diamonds in the rough personally I would have signed Dudson but not Flower, I too would prefer to give our own youth a shot, Mellor is a must for me this year with Powell doing a DR season too, Id like to see what Acton has to offer as well.

In all honesty I have always stated that I think Luaki is a good signing, I can also live with Flower and Dudson because they are young and could be shrewd signings but I do want to see our own youth in the mix too!
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

I agree with the Dudson being signed as I see him offering something over the next few years. I don't see why we are making the Flower signing, will be a good signing in the next few years but we have a number of younger players who are either better or have more prospect then him.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Mr Stu wrote:I agree with the Dudson being signed as I see him offering something over the next few years. I don't see why we are making the Flower signing, will be a good signing in the next few years but we have a number of younger players who are either better or have more prospect then him.
but do these younger players have a season of SL experience under their belts?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

medlocke wrote:
Mr Stu wrote:I agree with the Dudson being signed as I see him offering something over the next few years. I don't see why we are making the Flower signing, will be a good signing in the next few years but we have a number of younger players who are either better or have more prospect then him.
Ben Davies did and it did not matter. Moreover, why should it? Did Lee Gaskell have any before this season?

What is wrong with Crosby, Spencer, Burke?; Lima, Fielden, Mossop and Luaki will play 99% of the games, so why not give a youngster the rare opportunities.
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

medlocke wrote:
We have Tuson, Farrell, Burke, Hughes, Crosby who are young players and play or can play in the back row, add to that the more experienced players in Lockers, Hock, Hanson and Lauaki, these are players who will do well in the same positions.
botica

Post by botica »

I agree CP what can these two offer us? We are getting them simply due to the offer the RFL has given to take these players after the demise of Crusaders... making the best of whats on offer i guess
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

I wonder if signing substantial parts of Crusaders squad is related to Sam's new contract putting him amongst the best paid Wigan players ever!) and effective salary cap exemption.

Since the cap has now entered a new era of farce and can seemingly accomodate big name signings and marquee players at the discreation of the rfl, have we been allowed to keep Sam in the games interest as long as we accomodate Crusaders players with no home to go to?