Apologies McNamara (for now)

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Apologies McNamara (for now)

Post by Panchitta Marra »

josie andrews wrote:I hold my hand up too, but I don't think the way the lads are playing is solely down to McNamara.
Couldnt agree more Josie.
My rant is that all (non Wigan) players and coaching staff clearly benefitting from Mark Bitcons quality and experience really bugs me.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

So do folks honestly think Bitcon is transforming England players? Personally, I can see that their recovery between matches, their energy level looks far better but even as good as Bitcon is I do not think he could transform players physically in the time available.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

I would prefer Heighington anyday over Wilkin he is very aggressive and compliments Ellis superbly with West Tigers,imo Wilkin offers nothing to the team and along with Sinfield would be in the squad if he turned up with 2 broken legs.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I dont think Bitcon is transforming the England players, I do however think he is a good influence on how the players are performing in the 4 nations.
As you say their energy levels certainly appear much better, they also seem to have more belief in their own abilities.
Do you think this is all down to McNamarra's good coaching and man management skills CP.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think rep RL is minimal re coaching. You simply do not have the time to coach teams like a club coach can. I like one or two of the set plays where Sam shadows a runner and comes onto a pass very delayed.

I do think the RFL and coaching staff are paying far more attention to detail and spending more on preparation, facilities like hotels / travel / training facilities / in season get togethers which have keept the players together as a unit and well motivated. NZ have appeared shambolic by comparison and more intent on showing how 'tough' they are.

At the highest level, injecting some creativity into modern RL seems so very hard with completion and field position the key goals to the point playing attractive exciting attacking RL becomes a distant goal. Hence why players like Thurston and Lockyer are so vital. For us Sam injects something extra too.
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

We even played with far more flair v a very poor Kiwi team.
The most honest bit I've seen,so far

Will that flair still be evident if the Roos come out committed & stick to their game plan on Saturday,(Sunday morn' for me) :eh:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

If he comes home with the bacon we'll forgive him everything.
I have been impressed with the steady improvement the England boys have shown, but it'll need to be a whole lot better to beat a very determined set of kangaroos.
That said there is an optimism abroad that I haven't felt for a long while. If the team plays four and wins three we'd all be very happy indeed. Well it's still possible. And I suspect I shall be returning from that strange area east of the pennines somewhat hoarse on Saturday night whatever the result.
Let's hope the ref remembers the video this time!
Stevethegas