Westy is going back to NZ

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jobo

Re: Westy is going back to NZ

Post by jobo »

We should let him rot in the reserves. Great player, top bloke. Was shabbily treated by Wigan in the end and I hope that IL does something special for him before he goes.
BriH

Post by BriH »

Got his autograph at the last game at Central Park and he came across as a nice, genuine fella.
I thought he was treated very badly by the Club, particularly when, under his coaching, Wigan won everything there was to win.
Thanks for the memories and best of luck back home in NZ.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I've spoken to Graham loads of times and he's always a really top bloke, very down to Earth.

I remember when I was playing at St Judes and I wanted to bulk up a bit. I was pretty skinny and as a winger I was shit quick but couldn't really break many tackles. I decided to go down to Central Park and see if anyone could help, I ended up bumping in to Westy. He was really welcoming and incredibly helpful. I told him what I was after and that I was at St Judes, he told me to come back to Central Park a few days later and he'd see what he could do. I ended up getting a fully written up training schedule that they used to give to some of the lighter backs in the academy, to build them up. I was totally bowled over by how helpful and approachable he was.

It's a real shame that he's been treated the way that he has by the club, but, speaking to him he thinks his taxi driving is the best job he's ever done and he really enjoys it. I was told that he's even thinking of coming back over here periodically, to carry on with the driving. His house has been on the market for what seems like about a year now, but in the current climate, I don't think many properties are selling.

He's one of the most genuine blokes around and I wish him and his wife a very happy move to NZ.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

jobo wrote:We should let him rot in the reserves. Great player, top bloke. Was shabbily treated by Wigan in the end and I hope that IL does something special for him before he goes.
Totally agree
BriH

Post by BriH »

cpwigan wrote:
jobo wrote:We should let him rot in the reserves. Great player, top bloke. Was shabbily treated by Wigan in the end and I hope that IL does something special for him before he goes.

Totally agree
Me too - get rid of the bad memory for Westy, although he doesn't seem to hold a grudge. Makes him even better in my book.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

sad news,but i suppose it was likely to happen one day.Westy really was the start of the revival,along with the new board,with Maurice,and don't forget Alex Murphy.Twenty nine years ago,where has it gone? Best wishes to Graeme and his wife,he will always be a hero in Wigan.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I remember being in a bar in LA in the late 80s and we got chatting with a gang of NZ lads on holiday. When the talk inevitably got to RL, they said they were hopeful for the upcoming International game if Graeme West played. I pointed out that he was the captain of my local team. Seem to recall the next few drinks were gratis! :D
Jake

Post by Jake »

Good luck and best wishes to Westy and his family on his return to NZ a true gent of the game :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Morph wrote:I'm probably being a bit thick here but who is the person some posters are referring to as should rot in the reserves?? Westy!!
Think it was a tongue in cheek remark Morph
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan