Tomkins to play for Barbarians?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Tomkins to play for Barbarians?

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:Unfortunately Sam Tomkins isn't going to get any publicity simply by playing rugby league because no one gives a crap about the game except for a hardcore minority of sports fans in this country.

The only way to get people to take real interest in this talented rugby player is by him playing rugby union.
Even if that were true which I simply do not accept, it is a monumentally stupid idea because the ends (getting him more publicity) certainly do not justify the means.

Anyway, your argument seems to based on the idea he must have this publicity which is in itself not a given. The RFU are well aware of who he is so they do not need reminding, RL already know who he is and he can't earn anything from any increased publicity while he remains a RL player as that counts on the salary cap. So there is absolutely no need to for this to happen from a publicity point of view. If he leaves in three years to be an RU players I am sure he will be will known enough then (but in reality he already is as well known nationally as any rugby player of either code).

For your scenario to be the reason behind it the club would be bending over backwards to accommodate the player who has already had a great contract sorted out and also to accommodate the RFU. I think it is mucj simpler than that and it is just an error of judgement on both the clubs and his part.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Welski wrote:Normally a Barbarian v Aussie fixture at this part of the RU season would pass by largely unnoticed. Great PR for the BaaBaas and their charities (objections to them benefiting I find a little OTT) and a great advert for us.
Exactly. Sam playing in this game is fantastic promotion for a RU game. What a spectacular own goal.

And lets nail this one about charities. This can not be passed off as a general charitable enterprise. The main beneficiaries of the Ba Baas charities are Rugby Union clubs. It is why it exists as a charity. Another own goal.

The idea Wigan and RL benefit from this at all never mind compared to the publicity and direct financial benefit RU will get is completely ridiculous. Seeking out publicity for our sport via RU is one of the most bankrupt ideas I ave ever come across.

AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Dave, do you not think that this is just a case of putting sam in the shop window? it's inevitable that he will leave in 3 years and this is probably just an exercise in getting the most money for him.

Or who knows he might play, hate the game and stay at wigan for the rest of his career...
BriH

Post by BriH »

AdamMac wrote:Dave, do you not think that this is just a case of putting sam in the shop window? it's inevitable that he will leave in 3 years and this is probably just an exercise in getting the most money for him.

Or who knows he might play, hate the game and stay at wigan for the rest of his career...
Just what I've been thinking.

As I said in an earlier post, all of this has been agreed at the highest level - RFL, RU and IL before it was announced.
There is no way this is a spontaneous, off the cuff happening.
What really bothers me is where will it lead to?
Think The Bigger Picture.
botica

Post by botica »

I think we all need to calm down. No i am not happy about this but he's doing it! RU are using it as a promotional tool, but so must the RFL. I think a few will have a look over the fence and perhaps find a game they like to watch,
If Sam goes he will go whether or not he plays this game....

I just hope he doesn't get injured and has a good rest before his pre-season starts in december.
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

I may be miles away from the mark here, but this is worth considering.
Surely any monies Sam earns from playing RU cannot count towards his RL salary cap. Maybe we have found a crafty way of maximising a star players earning without breaching the salary cap?
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

DaveO wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:
eccywarrior wrote:it is a crazy idea but think of money sam and club will make.
Its the Baa Baas, neither the players nor the clubs get paid, it's the 'honour' of being selected. B*llsh*t. :angry:
Is that still the case in the modern era? I think it is but I am not sure.
The whole point about the Baa Baas is that they aren't in the modern era, their players are 'amateurs' and all funds raised go to good causes even if this includes spreading the Union word.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
TonyH

Tomkins on the wing

Post by TonyH »

Barbarians team on Sat was just posted on Twitter and it names the players from 15-1 as:

Toeva
Tomkins
Fruean
Mortlock
Habana
Cips
Stringer
Thomson
Berga
Kaino
Matfield
Shaw
Marcennot
Mealamu
Guinazu

I'm no Union fan but playing Sam on the wing - what a joke.

Up The Mont!
southernpie

Re: Tomkins on the wing

Post by southernpie »

TonyH wrote:Barbarians team on Sat was just posted on Twitter and it names the players from 15-1 as:

Toeva
Tomkins
Fruean
Mortlock
Habana
Cips
Stringer
Thomson
Berga
Kaino
Matfield
Shaw
Marcennot
Mealamu
Guinazu

I'm no Union fan but playing Sam on the wing - what a joke.
Given that it is going to happen, this would actually be the sensible option. I wouldn't expect Sam to have enough knowledge to read the game, so fullback is out, same for playing in the halves and directing the game. He is not big enough to play centre, anyway we don't want him in the thick of the play with forwards falling all over him.

He is going to get bored as the ball rarely comes down the line more than one or two passes, usually kicked by the flyhalf or trundled on by the forwards, the furthest it ever comes is to the crash centre who will try to make a break. If that happens Sam will be in support to take the pass and with his speed cause chaos, support play like Ashton does for England is the way to go.

Jason Robinson moved to fullback sometime after switching codes when he had learnt the game, but was always more effective on the wing. I know people are going to say but he was a winger, but if I remember correctly he started as a halfback.
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Panchitta Marra

Re: Tomkins on the wing

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Its diabolical that Sam is on the wing.
The RFU can now control and keep Sam as quiet as they want because on the wing you only get the ball if players inside want to (or are allowed to) give to you.
The best player in Superleague can now be made to look very average in Rugby Union.
I see no possitive for WWRLFC or Rugby League in general out of this fiasco that the RFU can now control for any propoganda.