Re: Expectations for the 2012 season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Madge is a hard act to follow, I just hope Shaun can kick on from here but I'm not convinced the new players are adequate replacements for the ones we lost.

So, in 2012 I'll settle for passion, commitment and pride in the shirt!
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

id settle for another final and top 3
IN WANE WE TRUST
BriH

Post by BriH »

Play fast exciting rugby and beat Saints home and away (and any other match they play them) and hammer Leeds!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

BriH wrote:Play fast exciting rugby and beat Saints home and away (and any other match they play them) and hammer Leeds!!
:eusa2: :eusa2:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

IFL expects Waney to take us to at least one final, so the pressure is on!

For me, I will settle for each and every player giving 100% when they pull on the most sought after rugby league jersey in the world.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I don't think I'll be alone in saying that for me, this coming season should be all about the likes of Crosby, Mellor, L Tomkins etc. I agree that we're in another transitional phase and there have been too many departures for it not to have an effect.
In 2010 and 2011 we won everything except the WWC and I don't think we'll top that in the coming two seasons. However, with the aforementioned few involved over the next two seasons, we should be able to mount a serious attack on some silverware in 2014.
I feel that the pressure is off somewhat as winning the SL and CC has meant that we don't have anything to prove now and can afford to allow our youngsters to play at the top grade. Having said that, I still think we'll be there or there abouts and other than Wolves, I can't think of a squad that matches ours. Saints may be, Hull will shock a few.
On the subject of the Wolves it'll be interesting to see how they go. They might be at their absolute peak but the shortcomings of last season may have taken their toll and they may be over the hill. We'll see.

One thing I am sure about is that I can't wait. And isn't nice to have a proper Wiganer at the helm!
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

After tasting success over the last two seasons I would love us to win either(or both!!) of the trophies in the coming year. We had, IMO, been in Saints, Leeds & Bradfords shadow in the siverware winning department for way too long and it hurt. It will hurt even more if we have to wait as long again to taste success.

In reallity, we will have new, unproven players (as yet) in the squad next season so we will have to give them a chance to adapt to greater expectations than they have experienced before and to see if they are up to the job. I would expect with the bulk of our squad being in the "been there, done that, want more of it" situation and the winning mentality we seem to have acquiered a top three league placing and another final is not beyond us.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We should always strive to be the best, being Wigan. We have a good squad with plenty of experience. Wane is fresh along with Harris who isn't a yes man which is good. Top 2 I expect, with Warrington finishing top again.

I expect to be in a final and get to a semi in the other comp. With the way Wigan are these last 2 seasons we should expect to be there or there abouts for a few seasons yet before we go over the crest and down the curve again.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Hopefully, Ancient, with enough time & astute planning ahead, there will be no need for a "curve" downwards.

Realistically, a pro club of our calibre, should have the right planning at the top to avoid these troughs and peaks and to have a much more consistent approach to squad building, which can naturally lead to success, with all the correct methods in place from season to season.
markill

Post by markill »

I expect to be entertained by a passionate and determined bunch of men who should appreciate that they're living out the dream that everyone watching has had of putting on those cherry and white hoops with a chance to mark their name in the history of the greatest sports club on earth.

If i ever feel let down by them or the officials controlling them on the field then i thoroughly expect a few dozen expletives to come from my mouth in their direction.

If we go unbeaten against saints and win a trophy then i expect it to have been a thoroughly worthwhile and enjoyable year and i'll be as happy with my team as i am now looking back over the challenge cup winning year we're leaving behind.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod