Why Martin, Why????

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Nezza Faz

Re: Why Martin, Why????

Post by Nezza Faz »

Panchitta Marra wrote:And maybe we end up with another RL player feeling exactly the same way that Terry Newton did.

So PM, wot's the answer to his OWN demons, ?

Repeat, he can't rely on other people to continually be at his beck and call, each time he "cocks" himself up.

At some point, he has to help HIMSELF - that's just life !
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Nezza Faz wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:And maybe we end up with another RL player feeling exactly the same way that Terry Newton did.

So PM, wot's the answer to his OWN demons, ?

Repeat, he can't rely on other people to continually be at his beck and call, each time he "cocks" himself up.

At some point, he has to help HIMSELF - that's just life !
I dont really know to be honest Nezza Faz, but I would rather something be done to prevent a very sad ending like we have seen previous and what is now coming out in the open with players like Jason Robinson and Adrian Morley.
Jason Robinson has openly admitted that he went down the alcohol route and although maybe not as serious as drugs can be very debilitating.
I understand with Martin Gleeson, he has his own demons, but quite often this is connected to something negative in earlier life.
Some form of councelling may be a suggestion.
Whats your honest thoughts.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I've been thinking this also, don't be surprised if...

Just hope that psychological charity is helping - it'd be needed
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Anyone can make a mistake but Gleeson seems to make a habit of it. He has had many chances and still carries on flouting the rules. He deserves all he gets and i cannot sympathise.
onedego

Post by onedego »

old hooker wrote:Anyone can make a mistake but Gleeson seems to make a habit of it. He has had many chances and still carries on flouting the rules. He deserves all he gets and i cannot sympathise.
people very quickly forget that this is someone's son and Brother we're talking about here.

I, for one, beleive that he should be offered psychological support by the sport. Even if that's someone knocking on his door and discussing options, helping him to develop a career path, be that in, or out of sport.

We cannot be so heartless as people to suggest that he be struck out of the sport and left to it, even with his history of "rule-breaking".
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

PM, can only pick up on a thread that Onedego has hinted at. That is he has a family so perhaps someone from inside his inner-circle should accept some responsibility now for his actions & profer some strong counselling themselves. Blood is thicker than water, they say.

As for ongoing support, psychological or whatever, I'd have thought all his previous Clubs would have tried to get inside the guy for his own good. Saints, Warrington, Huddersfield, Hull and Wigan can't all have got it wrong ?
onedego

Post by onedego »

that said though Nezza Faz, many people find it extremely difficult to talk to family, and would rather talk to a complete stranger first.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

From previous negative thread comments on here about the Gleeson family, would family assistance be an option or more of a hinderance to Martin.
If help was to be offered, lets hope the bloke could be strong enough to take the advice instead of brushing it away like all good things handed to him in the past.
BriH

Post by BriH »

I would send him to Afganistan for a month, helping out in the Hospital. Then he would realise just how lucky he is.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

BriH wrote:I would send him to Afganistan for a month, helping out in the Hospital. Then he would realise just how lucky he is.
Strangely enough, something like that may actually work and be able to influence his mind positively.

Perhaps other people's career of "giving" something to society, in adversity, can point him in the right direction.

It's worked for others in the past, in certain cases.

Getting to the stage of running out of ideas now !