Powell handed a chance to shine

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Powell handed a chance to shine

Post by josie andrews »

YOUNG gun Sam Powell is poised to be thrown into the deep end against Hull KR on Sunday.

Coach Shaun Wane spent the weekend pondering his team selection for their opening friendly match.

And though he has yet to settle on many of the positions, he has decided to hand Powell a chance to impress.

The 19-year-old – yet to figure for the first-team – will start the game at Craven Park in one of the half-back positions. And Wane hopes he will justify his decision by handling the step-up from the Under-20s.

The head coach said: “I’m going to start with Sam against Hull KR.

“I’ve been impressed with him during pre-season training.

“Sam’s a good halfback. He is only young and he has still got a bit to learn.

“But the best thing about Sam is that he listens to what he’s told. He’s spent a lot of time with Brett Finch and Tommy Leuluai, as well as (assistant coach) Iestyn Harris, and he’s always asking questions and listening to what they say.

“He’s shown a real willingness to learn and improve, and that’s what I like to see.”

Powell, a former Hindley and Wigan St Pat’s amateur, has been training with the first-team since 2010.

He captained the Under-20s to Grand Final success and has represented England at academy level. The ex-Standish High pupil – who has been handed the No,29 shirt – is one of a clutch of exciting youngsters in the senior squad who are hoping to breakthrough into Wane’s plans during 2012.

The likes of Joe Mellor, Matt Russell, Logan Tomkins and Ryan King will also be angling for chances, while Jack Hughes and Dom Crosby will be looking to build on their brief experiences in the first-team.

After Sunday’s friendly at Hull KR (kick-off 3pm) Wigan will face Huddersfield on Thursday, January 19 at the DW Stadium in a game which will serve as Sean O’Loughlin’s testimonial.

Then the following week, Wane will take his side to Salford to face Phil Veivers’ Reds at their new stadium.

“All the lads will get a chance in the friendly matches, at some stage,” added Wane, who has only three players – Amos Roberts, Stuart Fielden and Paul Prescott – ruled out of the pre-season programme due to injury.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... _1_4118667
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Powell handed a chance to shine

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

My view is that Sam is the most natural scrumhalf in the club. He has a good kicking game, is strong in defence, is an excellent organiser and he can make tries and score them. I am expecting big things from him in the next few years.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

What does this say about Joe Mellors future?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Well Wane will try and prove a point by pushing the youngsters through as he's seen many of them develop under his watch. A Product of Wane™
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

mickw wrote:i`m sure we`ll be patient with him.
Unfortunately there are quite a few Wigan fans, particularly on RLfans, who have a very bad track record with regards to this.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Our problem is that we have such a history that we will always compare the kids to our past glories. Im sure the more educated and tuned in fan will understand that you can't just throw in a youngster and expect them to be the real deal, unless you are Sam Tomkins... a full year of first grade is what they need, it's ok getting knocked by under 21s each week... coming up against a Morley or Bailey each week is different.

We'll be patient with them
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Well the last time we threw a young half back in the side I think it went ok :wink:
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

WiganWarrior wrote:Well the last time we threw a young half back in the side I think it went ok :wink:
Was the Brown and Robinson? :cool:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Dobby wrote:
mickw wrote:i`m sure we`ll be patient with him.
Unfortunately there are quite a few Wigan fans, particularly on RLfans, who have a very bad track record with regards to this.
"Patient" in what respect though? Waiting for them to gain the necessary experience to compete at the highest level (ie first team) or gel together to form cohesive partnerships or even actually play well enough to see the side be competitive enough to win things?

Patience comes in different forms and the first will come with Wane's coaching/tactics and team selections
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!