v Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

v Hull KR

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Anyone know where we can get updates from today's game please?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: v Hull KR

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Sorry my mistake found it on the main website! oooops!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Hull KR 6:22 Wigan warriors - Full Time.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 722&type=1
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Good start then. Glad to see Russell score.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wes

Post by Wes »

Did anyone go? If so how did the new guys and the youngsters do and who stood out?
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Didn't go today and so not sure how the performance was, but considering a virtually untried, youthful side, then an excellent result at a difficult place to visit, especially as Rovers fielded a virtual first choice selection.

A good and promising start. :D
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan brought McIlorum on in the second half That was a big plus for them.
chris1234

Post by chris1234 »

Yes i went today,

The stand out performances for me came from Darrell Goulding, who played well in both defence and attack, getting the ball out well in the tackle. Brett Finch also played well, apart from a couple of wayward lazy kicks, in my opinion Finch will be a massive part as to how well Wigan do this year. Also Lee Mossop looked stronger than ever and for me was the stand out performer in the forwards busting through tackles and making superb yards. With regards to the younger lads they all played their part, Matty Russell appeared to have some footwear issues and was continously slipping, he knocked on a couple of times and could have easily lost his head, but he didn't and scored a great try that took a lot of finsihing from around 30ms out which showed alot of his character. Sam Powell didnt look out of place in the team at all, superb in defence, good passer and made a couple of good tactical kicks. Logan Tomkins may be the one who i slightly doubt if he is ready for the first team, hes a superb passer and great around the ruck area, but he will be physically bullied against larger and more experienced hookers like Roby, Monaghan etc So the main worry in terms of Logan is if he has the physical presence to play Super League. He has the heart of a lion and is a skill full player, but he did on more than one occasion appear to struggle in the tackle. The new guys did Ok, the jury is still out on Lauaki, he runs hard, tackles hard, but i feel in the long run we may have another Feka on our hands. Flower was the better of the Welsh guys, tackles hard, runs hard and made a great break at the end. In terms of Gelling, i feel he is very raw, he is a huge unit and looks to have something, but i think it will be a while before we see the best of him, if i remember rightly, he flew out of the line and missed one tackle all game, so his defence was pretty good, he made half a break and swatted a few Hull plays off, but i still think he needs time to settle in, get fully fit and upto the speed and intensity of Super league as he is currently quite a way off. Its obviously very early days and the boys do seem a bit rusty, im looking forward to Thursdays game to see if they can blow away a few more cobwebs with the other guys who didnt play today Hock, Carmont etc, integrate the new players a little bit more and hopefully get some of the fluency that we had in the backs from 2010.

RichardMathers @ MichaelJones86: don't bother coming then u nerd... or how's about u introduce yourself to me face to face you keyboard warrior?

MichaelJones86 @ RichardMathers: you would probably drop me, you drop everything else. Can't wait for Brett hodgson. Bellend
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Defeat Rovers In Friendly

Result From Craven Park - Pre Season Friendly

Hull KR 6

T - Webster

G - Hall

Wigan Warriors 22

T - Russell, Richards 2, Charnley

G Richards 3

Timeline

17 Jake Webster (Try) from a Blake Green grubber kick 4-0

17 Craig Hall (Conversion) 6-0

40 Matty Russell (Try) from Darrell Goulding break and offload. Russell beat Hodgson and Hall to score 6-4

40 Pat Richards (Conversion) 6-6

H/T

48 Pat Richards (Try) Finch long kick, Hodgson failed to clean up and Richards seized opportunity 6-10

48 Pat Richards (Conversion) 6-12

73 Josh Charnley (Try strong finish in the corner after earlier had been held over the line 6-16

73 Pat Richards (Conversion) 6-18

77 Pat Richards (Try) from Lee Mossop break, Finch in support, Richards on Shoulder 6-22

Team News

Hull KR: 1. Shannon McDonnell; 2. Craig Hall, 4. Jake Webster, 13. Rhys Lovegrove, 5. David Hodgson; 6. Blake Green, 19. Scott Murrell; 23. Mickey Paea, 14. Lincoln Withers, 10. Scott Taylor; 11. Con Mika, 12. Ben Galea, 9. Josh Hodgson.
Replacements: 8. Joel Clinton, 15. Liam Watts, 23. James Green, 21. Sam Latus, 32. Chris Heil, 30. Aaron Ollett, 31. Nick Johnson, 29. Liam Salter, 17. Kristian Bell, 16. Jason Netherton, 25. Keal Carlile, 22. Scott Wheeldon, 28. Dave Petersen.

Wigan: 27. Matthew Russell; 2. Josh Charnley, 3. Darrell Goulding, 24. Anthony Gelling, 5. Pat Richards; 6. Brett Finch, 29. Sam Powell; 14. Jeff Lima, 28. Logan Tomkins, 21. Epalahame Lauaki; 11. Harrison Hansen, 16. Liam Farrell, 17. Chris Tuson.
Replacements: 10. Lee Mossop, 9. Michael McIlorum, 22. Gil Dudson, 23. Ben Flower, 25. Joe Mellor, 26. Jack Hughes, 32. Tom Spencer

Referee - Phil Bentham

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
chris1234

Post by chris1234 »

My ratings

Matty Russell: 6/10
Couple of mistakes, but recovered well to finish try and looks like another great prospect, needs game time and experience

Josh Charnley: 7/10
No better or worse than Richards, strong in defence, steady in attack, good solid game overall

Darrell Goulding: 8/10
Had a great game and gave his doubters something to consider, solid in defence and looked dangerous in attack.

Anthony Gelling : 6/10
First game in top flight for a while, missed one tackle in defence, made a good half break, overall not bad, but needs to show more to step up to Super league level. Obviously needs time.

Pat Richards: 7/10
Steady Eddie, good goal kicking, Strong in defence,took his two tries well, one a well made try down the left flank and the other a lucky poached try.

Brett Finch: 7-8/10
Solid game, great organiser, good kicking game bar a few wayward in the first ten mins, appears to be the general we need, will be a huge player for us this year.

Sam Powell: 7/10
Slotted in well with Finch at half back, great passer, good kicking game, but i was most impressed with his defence. Had a good solid game and looks capable of stepping up in the near future, just needs some experience and i think he will be great for us.

Jeff Lima: 6/10
Ran hard, tackled well, typical under the radar Lima performance. Made the hard yards and worked hard, nothing flashy.

Logan Tomkins: 6/10
This lad is bright, skill full passer, worked tirelessly around the pitch in defence, but lacked the bite in the tackle, slightly struggled with the physicality and was knocked around a bit today.

Epalahme Lauaki: 5/10
Ran the ball in hard, tackled well in defence, but i expected more, like a slightly less powerful Feka in the tackle and only played 15min stints. Appeared to take a knock to his arm, shoulder? and was forced off. Hopefully will prove me wrong and come good.

Harrison Hansen: 5/10
Looked slightly light weight in the tackle, tried hard to look for gaps but never really got into the game. Also possibly took a knock to his shin i think.

Liam Farrell: 6/10
Looked dangerous at times, he always seems very illusive in the tackle making slight half breaks and dodging tackles, but i would say he will have it all on to get into the squad when the likes of Hock, Prescott and the full rota of forwards are available.

Chris Tuson: 5/10
Aggressive in the tackle, hard worker in defence, but doesnt offer much in attack, the same as Farrell, on todays performance has it all on to make the team this year.

SUBS

Lee Mossop: 8/10
Strong runner, big hitter in defence, Mossop becoming one of the best young forwards in the game. On the strength of today, could be our most effective forward this year.

Michael Mcllorum: 7/10
Turned things around when he came on, tough tackling in defence, made various breaks only to choose the wrong option in support. Overall had a good game today and looked sharp.

Gil Dudson: 6/10
Didnt show too much on his first showing, took the ball in well but thats about it really. Needs time to settle in.

Ben Flower: 6-7/10
Looks capable of playing anywhere in the forwards, looks like a tough, strong player, Made a good break at the end and showed good pace for a forward. So far, the best of the Welsh signings.

Joe Mellor: 5/10
Not enough game time to make an impact from full back, looks to have superb pace and a great sidestep, but cant see where he would fit in the team.

Jack Hughes: 6/10
Huge guy, strong as an ox, was required to fill in at centre for a while today and was solid in defence, good solid performance and more experience to add to his tank.

Tom Spencer: 5/10
Quick 15min stint, looked strong, quick and powerful, would probably benefit from a dual reg contract, but can see him being a good froward in the future based on todays small showing.
RichardMathers @ MichaelJones86: don't bother coming then u nerd... or how's about u introduce yourself to me face to face you keyboard warrior?

MichaelJones86 @ RichardMathers: you would probably drop me, you drop everything else. Can't wait for Brett hodgson. Bellend