New Players Union (1eagu3)

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
BriH

New Players Union (1eagu3)

Post by BriH »

Anybody know anything about this?
Just read about on Sporting Life web page.
Jon Wilkin Chairman.
It's - I presume - an updated version of the GMB Players Union and - again I presume - it will still be a Branch of the GMB? From my memory, way back in the late '70's, GMB had a Staff Branch called MATSA.
No doubt all will be revealed!
Happy and prosperous 2012 to everybody!!!
Nezza Faz

Re: New Players Union (1eagu3)

Post by Nezza Faz »

My understanding is this is a new players union just formed, and is a "breakaway" from the gmb.

Think Jamie Peacock is the President who says they want a more pro-active role in all the affairs of super league, including players welfare, career progression, salary cap issues, and even rules of the game to be agreed by the union.

They state they have over 75% of all S/L players signed up to the new movement, and aim to give a more modern, meaningful representation than the gmb.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Geoff Burrow, father of Leeds scrum-half Rob and head of the GMB's Rugby League Players' Association, said: "GMB is angry and disappointed at the announcement of a breakaway group.

"I am accusing those behind it of trying to create an elitist organisation that has no experience, no skills or any back-up to look after players' interests.

"1eague3 say they want to bring rugby league players in line with footballers but this alone shows their total lack of knowledge and experience, as footballers from all leagues are members of their union, not just the Premier League.

"And I would question exactly what players will get for their £10 per month to this breakaway body.

"GMB has put 300 of our rugby league members through training courses, subjects as diverse as gym instructors, personal trainers and even cookery so that we equip players to have a profession to turn to when their playing career comes to an end.

"This doesn't cost them a penny and that's truly looking after players' interests."

Tim Roache, regional director of GMB, added: "GMB has secured half a million pounds in compensation on contractual and playing disputes in the last two years alone.

"Much of that work has been done by our union's employment experts. How on earth is a breakaway body, with no experience or track record, going to match that?

"Jamie Peacock and Jon Wilkin should be honest with the players they are trying to recruit and accept they have no money, no back-up and no structure to look after them and they will be walking them over a cliff.
http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... away-group
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
BriH

Post by BriH »

butt monkey wrote:
Geoff Burrow, father of Leeds scrum-half Rob and head of the GMB's Rugby League Players' Association, said: "GMB is angry and disappointed at the announcement of a breakaway group.

"I am accusing those behind it of trying to create an elitist organisation that has no experience, no skills or any back-up to look after players' interests.

"1eague3 say they want to bring rugby league players in line with footballers but this alone shows their total lack of knowledge and experience, as footballers from all leagues are members of their union, not just the Premier League.

"And I would question exactly what players will get for their £10 per month to this breakaway body.

"GMB has put 300 of our rugby league members through training courses, subjects as diverse as gym instructors, personal trainers and even cookery so that we equip players to have a profession to turn to when their playing career comes to an end.

"This doesn't cost them a penny and that's truly looking after players' interests."

Tim Roache, regional director of GMB, added: "GMB has secured half a million pounds in compensation on contractual and playing disputes in the last two years alone.

"Much of that work has been done by our union's employment experts. How on earth is a breakaway body, with no experience or track record, going to match that?

"Jamie Peacock and Jon Wilkin should be honest with the players they are trying to recruit and accept they have no money, no back-up and no structure to look after them and they will be walking them over a cliff.
http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... away-group
If this appraisal is true, then one would have to question the sense of the new set-up if all the points made by the GMB are correct.