Prescott joins Saints backroom staff

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Prescott joins Saints backroom staff

Post by josie andrews »

Rugby league legend, Steve Prescott has taken on a role at his former club, St Helens six years after being told he only had six months left to live after developing a rare form of cancer.

Steve developed Pseudomyxoma Peritonei which is a raw form of stomach cancer whilst embarking on a coaching career at Hull FC U16's. He has since linked up with St Helens U20's coach where he will act as an assistant. Since then he has raised almost £350,000 through the Steve Prescott Foundation which raises money for The Christie and Try Assist.

"I've been serving on the League's disciplinary panel, so it's not as though I've been away from the game," he said.

"I had my doubts over whether I'd be up to it, but so far it's been great. I do three nights a week, although there'll be a bit more with the season coming soon."

"We've got some quality talent coming through at Saints and this is a way of me giving something back to the game. It has been like the family of rugby league rallying around" he added.

Prescott has been told he may need further treatment but has been told by doctors that he doesn't need to be seen for at least three months.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_684 ... taff.html?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Nezza Faz

Re: Prescott joins Saints backroom staff

Post by Nezza Faz »

Great news on the improvement of his health. He's done miraculous apparently, to get over this stage of his critical illness.

Not felt sorry for himself - been proactive with his charity, raising thousands, mostly involving his own participation in marathons, cycling across the country (and overseas), Rowing, tugs of war, Touch Rugby Comps, etc. and many other events completed for various charities when he was feeling low & very poorly indeed. He has been an inspiration.

Only small negative with this story - hope he's not going to be on disciplinaries when Sts players are up before the commitee ? Or involving our players even ?
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Prescott joins Saints backroom staff

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

This fella is an inspiration, any involvement he has with our game regardless of team the sport will benefit.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure