Odsal sold to the RFL

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
butt monkey

Odsal sold to the RFL

Post by butt monkey »

The Rugby Football League is to rent Odsal back to Bradford Bulls after buying one of the sport's most famous homes from the club.

The game's governing body has paid the Bulls an undisclosed sum for the ground that has been their home since 1934.

Chairman Peter Hood confirmed the Bulls made the approach to the RFL, hailing the announcement as "excellent news".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 709752.stm

Shame the RFL weren't so forthcoming when Wigan's future at Central Park was up in the air.

Smacks of some Yorkshire double-dealing to keep Bradford within the SL licensing and also prevent them going bust :eh:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
ancientnloyal

Re: Odsal sold to the RFL

Post by ancientnloyal »

Great idea! This will be our sports National Stadium I reckon. They will redevelop the ground make a retail park etc... raise the playing pitch up etc etc

Seems like Bradford Bulls didnt have the resources to do it themselves.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I understand a private contractor was about to move in & buy Odsal from Bradford Council (who own the ground, anyway) and then use it for their own development e.g. housing, etc.

This would have meant nowhere for them to play, except move in with their soccer neighbours, and not a lot of love lost between the two parties.

Hopefully the RFL will now develop the grounds & stadium, and maybe it could become a true "home" for RL, as its only 45 mins from this part of Lancs down the motorway. It could be an awesome stadium, and once held over 100,000.
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

I heard they bought it as it's the only place big enough to bury Nigel Wood
Up The Mont!
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

TonyH wrote:I heard they bought it as it's the only place big enough to bury Nigel Wood
Aye and thats only his Hied Tony :lol: :lol:

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

the winky one

Post by the winky one »

Oh your'e so wicked you two! but I love it..ha ha

:eusa2: :eusa2:
markill

Post by markill »

We certainly can't start condemning them now for showing support to the sport in the 'heartlands' after all the Wales/London slagging we give the RFL's charitable donations.
Hopefully they do move on with development and base the sport here - its very easy to get to on the motorway for sure.
I would prefer it if the sum paid wasn't 'undisclosed' and we were told how this compared with other potential offers from 'predatory approachers'
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

mickw wrote:were central park,knowsley road,station road not iconic rl stadia.odsal is no more famous than any of them,oh wait a minute non of them are in yarkshire are they!odsal`s ideal for landfil though.
i would like to add to this with a more recent example. Waky went into administration and nearly wipped off the rugby league map becuase the owed HMRC £100k. Could the RFL not have bought their ground and rented it back? Wakey would ahve been able to pay HMRC back and continued trading.

the point i would like to make is you can not do one thing for one team you would not do for another team.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

This should be viewed as an investment. If Bradford Bulls pay the running costs, plus a share of their gate money to the RL to cover interest and capital charges then it is happy times for the rugby league family.

The land itself will not decrease in value and if push comes to shove and the family silver needs to be sold then a tidy profit would be made in years to come.

I assume that all the chairmen had a vote before the purchase was agreed.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
I assume that all the chairmen had a vote before the purchase was agreed.
If a vote was to have been held this wouldn't have been agreed to

The RFL have acted in a similar fashion to a Government. eg Tax payers money (ie everyone who buys anything with tax applied or earns etc etc) and then spends that money on their own whims without due considerations or responsibility towards that money and the fact the game as a whole contributed to it in the first place.

mickw and wiggydoran hit the nail on the head. Are every club now going to expect some degree of financial help (should it be necessary) now the RFL have been so willing to intervene in Bradford's problem or will the head be firmly placed back into the sand?

More to the point, why has the club been investing so heavily on players when more consideration should have been placed upon sealing a future in a stadium far more befitting SL than a simple hole in the ground with some terracing?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!