Harrison Hansen

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Harrison Hansen

Post by First Try Tickle »

When the team first ran on the pich a guy behind me asked if wigans number 11 was Ben Flower. When I looked at H I couldn't believe the size of him.

I've never been his biggest fan, but last season he was awesome and my most improved player. His defence was outstanding and his work rate second to none.

But yesterday it looked like he had put about 3 stone on, and it showed. He was blowing very early on, and if anyone went past him he just could get near them.

This is one of my biggest worries from yesterday, Ok they bulk up but not if it affects their fitness. At a scrum after 7 minutes hoch was bent double and gasping, now I'm not saying he was struggling, but it doesn't give the right impression, especially to the opposition who think these lot are knackered.

Forget Orrell, I'd have them all up winter hill for the day, rugby League players should be able to run all day these days.
TonyH

Re: Harrison Hansen

Post by TonyH »

Fitness seems to be the major issue with yesterdays performance to be honest.

However.....

Reaching peak fitness during the middle of the season is better than starting off at your peak and it reducing due to fatigue/injuries.

Have faith.
Up The Mont!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

A lot of players will bulk up during the off season. Most will lose quite a bit of that bulk as they get match fit. I'd fully expect a player to lose 2 - 3kg during the season as they adapt to the game.

Despite how we looked yesterday, the fitness levels don't worry me at all, we'll be reet soon enough :)

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

We have started both 2010 and 2011 seasons with the team looking much fitter from the off and won a trophy in each season. All this lets not peak too early is just another excuse.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote:We have started both 2010 and 2011 seasons with the team looking much fitter from the off and won a trophy in each season. All this lets not peak too early is just another excuse.
totally agree DaveO, the main difference for me "warm weather" camp. Sorry but when nobby was here they did them and the lads werent fit at the start of the season, madge stopped them and the team were fit on day 1, they brought it back and bang back to being unfit again.

I know there are lots more circumstances but i just think these camps dont do any good.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

maybe if they had more game time in pre season that could of benefited them too.

instead of playing the 21's in the testimonial and against leigh.

i know its good for the young ones to get experience under there belt but its not them who will be playing a full season in super league think it should have been a mixture rather than just a full youth set up
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

These games happen, in all honesty, remember Bradford away 2010? Catalans twice last year? Warm weather training or cold weather training is not a big deal in my opinion. You train the heart, normally a lacate threshold is 170bpm, the longer you train it to perform at that the fitter you will be, it's nothing to do with conditions, cold or warm weather.

Also, listening to Lee Mossop before the game he states he has put a couple of kilos on in pre season but has got quicker, obviously due to adding power and strength.

There were times last year when whilst we may have been fitter than most teams we were getting battered up the middle by the likes of Carvell, Morley and Puletua. Fowards adding size and getting quicker is a good thing. It was an off day.

We will beat Leeds on Saturday.
Up The Mont!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Our pack will be as good as any in the league when we get up to speed and Fielden and Prescott are added to the mix. My biggest worry is the lack of creativity and kicking game in the halfbacks.

Regarding fitness, Bitcon will get it right.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
GBH

Post by GBH »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Regarding fitness, Bitcon will get it right.
We should be fit from day one looking to win every match with no excuses of its early yet!

It just makes for more work later in the season when you let matches slip!

All Wayne's talk of games we should of won last year! we should of won yesterday with ease they were nearly 8 major players light...
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

TonyH wrote:These games happen, in all honesty, remember Bradford away 2010? Catalans twice last year? Warm weather training or cold weather training is not a big deal in my opinion. You train the heart, normally a lacate threshold is 170bpm, the longer you train it to perform at that the fitter you will be, it's nothing to do with conditions, cold or warm weather.

Also, listening to Lee Mossop before the game he states he has put a couple of kilos on in pre season but has got quicker, obviously due to adding power and strength.

There were times last year when whilst we may have been fitter than most teams we were getting battered up the middle by the likes of Carvell, Morley and Puletua. Fowards adding size and getting quicker is a good thing. It was an off day.

We will beat Leeds on Saturday.
Thats spot on Tony and the longer you train to do this the quicker your body copes in returning back to the normal rate of 60bpm.
Its all about how quick the recovery is from peak to normal as this is what happens in a game.