Virgin Media talks with Premier sports stall

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Gizmo_Edwards

Virgin Media talks with Premier sports stall

Post by Gizmo_Edwards »

Talks between Virgin Media and sports TV channel Premier Sports to secure content including NRL, Championship Rugby League and NHL Ice Hockey have broken down due to a disagreement over payment models.

Premier Sports has rebuffed an offer from Virgin Media to distribute the channel as a standalone add-on because it wants to be bundled into an existing TV package.

The broadcaster, which is currently available in the UK via Sky for £7.99 per month, was keen to extend its distribution ahead of the start of the Championship Rugby League 2012 season in March.

Premier Sports also offers Celtic and Rangers TV, Conference football, Nascar Sprint Cup motor racing, Elite Swedish Speedway and the Gaelic Athletic Association’s hurling and football.

A Virgin spokesperson said the negotiations had stalled but brokering a deal remained possible.

“Virgin Media has actively engaged with Premier Sports over the past 12 months and advised it that we’re able to make the channel available to our customers on a premium basis,” said the spokesperson.

“Unfortunately, Premier Sports has chosen to decline our proposal so we are unable to launch as it stands.”

In January, the pay-TV platform revealed talks were under way but warned it would only do a deal that made commercial sense.

“We have to balance cost and potential demand when we assess new channel launches,” it said in a statement.

Any thoughts???
Wigan Rugby League Fans:- the jackpot winners in rugby league life...
First Try Tickle

Re: Virgin Media talks with Premier sports stall

Post by First Try Tickle »

I would love to see the NRL on sky again, really enjoyed watching the matches on a Sunday morning, well until my lad started playing.

But I'm not paying any more for it, i pay sky a fortune for my sports just for RL so i wont be paying £8 just for the NRL.

Why dont sky do us all a favour and sack Eddie, Stevo and clarkey and use the money to get the NRL and Championship matches. I would sooner listed to crowd noise than them.
Gizmo_Edwards

Post by Gizmo_Edwards »

This is a quote from Andy Wilson on his weekly set of six dated 06/02/12.

It's still a while until the big kick-off in Australia, but it sounds like the All Stars game on the Gold Coast on Saturday provided the usual tantalising appetite-whetter for those lucky enough to have access to the game on Premier Sports. For those of us on a Virgin platform – and the same goes for Talktalk, I'm told – time is getting tight if we're going to be able to watch Premier's coverage of the Championship on Thursday nights.
Wigan Rugby League Fans:- the jackpot winners in rugby league life...
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Gizmo_Edwards wrote:This is a quote from Andy Wilson on his weekly set of six dated 06/02/12.

It's still a while until the big kick-off in Australia, but it sounds like the All Stars game on the Gold Coast on Saturday provided the usual tantalising appetite-whetter for those lucky enough to have access to the game on Premier Sports. For those of us on a Virgin platform – and the same goes for Talktalk, I'm told – time is getting tight if we're going to be able to watch Premier's coverage of the Championship on Thursday nights.
But Talk Talk haven't even rolled out their "You View" platform yet. I'm not sure if they're in talks with Premier Sports or not.

eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

ill be subscribing to premier sports this week for £79 for 12 months. id love premier sports get superleague then id cancel sky sports as its well cheaper. only problem with premier sports is its not hd :(
IN WANE WE TRUST
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I'm useless with my eyesight, EccyW. because I can't tell the difference anyway. And saves a few quid.

Must qualify me to take ref's/tj's course.