Leeds Rhinos: McDermott in call for Super League fixture rethink

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leeds Rhinos: McDermott in call for Super League fixture rethink

Post by josie andrews »

Regular mid-week matches could be a way of improving the quality of Super League’s early rounds.

That’s the view of Leeds Rhinos coach Brian McDermott, who reckons it is now time for a debate over the competition’s early start.

McDermott believes kicking off in February leads to low-quality games at the start of the season and is bad for players, fans and sponsors alike – because pre-season training is carried out in the worst weather.

Only one Super League game has been postponed so far this year – Catalan Dragons’ home clash with Hull, which had been scheduled for last Saturday.

But other matches have been played on snow-covered pitches or in heavy, muddy conditions.

The Leeds boss would like to see Super League kick off a month later and he believes a return to mid-week rugby could make that possible.

Rhinos managed only one field session before last Saturday’s Stobart Super League game at Wigan Warriors, due to snow and ice.

McDermott refused to use that as an excuse for his team’s 20-6 defeat, but he admitted poor early-season weather makes it difficult for all teams.

“You have to be a bit robust and just get on with it,” McDermott said. “But at the same time it is frustrating and it affects the quality of the competition when we start.

“If we are going to play 27 weekly rounds and we have to finish by mid-October, I can’t see a way round it.

“But it’s not good for the quality of rugby on show in the early rounds and that affects spectators, players, coaches, investors and sponsors.

“One answer could be to have two or maybe three spells when you play Sunday-Wednesday-Sunday.”

Since Super League began in 1996, the only mid-week games have been played over Easter, on bank holidays or if teams have had to re-arrange fixtures.

This summer 10 games will be played on Monday evenings, during the football off-season, at the request of Sky TV.

McDermott is confident modern full-time players could cope with three games in eight days on an occasional basis throughout the season.

“Everyone has got 30-man squads nowadays,” he stated. “In my experience it is not so much the games that’s the issue, it is backing up in training.

“But I don’t see why you couldn’t have a Wednesday game for three periods in a season, then carry on with one game a week for the rest of the time.

“I’ve not looked into dates or anything like that, but it would probably mean we could start the season a month later, in March.

“I know the weather’s not perfect then, but at least the worst of the snow and ice and wet is over with by then.”

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/s ... _1_4244383
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Leeds Rhinos: McDermott in call for Super League fixture rethink

Post by josie andrews »

Does he think he is the first person to question this?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Should just reduce the number of games in a season.
Get rid of the Magic fixture, and reduce the play-offs to five teams.
Which ever team finishes top of the league should go straight through to the final.

Just my opinion of course :roll:

Oh & start the season in March!
jobo

Post by jobo »

Funny this but we've had record crowds for the opening 2 weeks and sky had a record audience for the same 2 weeks. As the conditions for training are broadly the same for everyone then McDermotts arguments fall a bit flat.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Reducing the games in a season is not the answer. Bigger squads and a limit on how many games each player can play is better,or a minimum number of games for all squad members.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Should play early challenge cup rounds midweek IMO and I am all for a couple of tuesday night matches during the season. Mission Impossible anyone?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

He's just getting his excuses in early - as usual.

As has been said, reduce the number of teams involved in play offs and get rid of the "magic" weekend
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Play one home game, one away game against each team. No play offs, whoever finishes top of the table is champion.
A bizarre idea I know, but it may just work.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09