Widnes v Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TSB

Re: Widnes v Wigan

Post by TSB »

This was the team that lost at home to Huddersfield.

Team News

Wigan Warriors: Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley, Darrell Goulding, George Carmont, Pat Richards, Brett Finch, Thomas Leuluai, Lee Mossop, Michael McIlorum, Jeff Lima, Harrison Hansen, Gareth Hock. Sean O'Loughlin

Replacements - Liam Farrell, Chris Tuson, Epalahame Lauaki, Ben Flower

Huddersfield Giants: Greg Eden, Jermaine McGillvary, Leroy Cudjoe, Joe Wardle, Luke George, Simon Grix, Danny Brough, Eorl Crabtree, Luke Robinson, Jacob Fairbank, Jason Chan, Lee Gilmour, Tommy Lee

Replacements - Shaun Lunt, Larne Patrick, Michael Lawrence, Adam Walker

Thought the game was a cracking game stopped right till the end with what seemed everybody else. how many would have been left watching if we had been winning with 70 points.
Weldone to Widnes.
mickh

Post by mickh »

I was at the game, the equalising try Widnes scored was knocked on a foot before the the line, just in front of me, the young line judge gave a try?, should have been a penalty to Wigan because the player went over the line later.
I will not be at the game on Sunday, (this is the first game I will have missed this season "Season Ticket holder"), completely unsure of the quality of Rugby I should expect, referees have an agenda! Rugby union refereeing? given 4 years it will be the same sport.
Shaun Wane made the rod for his own back, respect the opposition and respect the officials, Bashy you made a good point on page 4
Mick
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I can't understand why people are claiming that fans have been short changed. Why? because we lost?

I know Wane left out the spine of our team, and that was probably a mistake, in hindsight. But that's only 4 players, Lockers, Leuluai, Sam and Pat.
Now, I'm not Carol Vorderman when it comes to maths, but even I know that 4 (5 at a stretch) isn't half of 17!

Worse things have happened, and will probably happen again. I wouldn't for one minute expect Wane to come out and say he got it all wrong, why should he? He doesn't have to explain himself to fans.

We lost the Huddersfield game because (as admitted by the players), they took the opposition too lightly. That's the players, not the coaching staff.
We lost to Widnes because of too many changes, the lack of big game players and Widnes playing the game of their lives.

I, for one, am not too bothered about the Widnes result and I fully expect us to beat London pretty well. If a person never made any mistakes, they would never learn anything at all. There isn't one single person in the world who has never made a mistake, except CPW, obviously :wink: :lol:

ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

cpwigan wrote:Whast worry's me is Wanwey seems oblivious that it was HE who was in the main responsible for a ludicrous defeat. Whatsmore, he is becoming a broken record;

Check out Waney on getting beaten by Widnes and Hudds

Head Coach Shaun Wane says he is "gutted" following his sides narrow 37-36 loss at Widnes on Sunday.

The Warriors twice led comfortably during the game as Wane's young team showed their attacking flair, but on both occasions were pegged back by a resiliant Vikings outfit before Lloyd White's 70th minute drop goal won it for the home team.

"We did not underestimate Widnes. They are a good team and were going to click at some stage. They played well and we didn't. They deserved to win" said Wane.

Head Coach Shaun Wane post match admitted he was gutted with the result,

"I am disappointed with that,we have trained really well since the Salford game and I knew Huddersfield would be strong, they have some match winners and I drummed that into our team that they would be a threat and a team that can play, we needed to be on the ball today and we just weren't, it's as simple as that.

"When we did get our plays on we executed them and bothered them but our last play options, our last pass was poor, the times we could have scored some tries were numerous and we need to look at that and make sure it is fixed up.

"It is going to be an honest and brutal chat tomorrow for us, the players are as disappointed as me which I am pleased about.Five or six individual performances were not upto scratch.

"It is one game and it is a long season, whilst I am gutted at losing any game it is a long season and we will fix it. In a few days time we are playing against a very strong Leeds side and we need to perform better."

So whatever Waney is doing there are early suggestions that some players are either not listening to him or not getting his message.

It is early days but he is becoming a parrot with the same old rhetoric already.
Time to retire again CP
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

cpwigan wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Too many untried youngsters in a game results in the Leeds / Saints 70+ defeats / nightmares.
Nonsense CP wrong again, it was Millward and Millward only.
Millward did not help BUT injuries and the absence of Lockers and Hock was crucial with too many players forced to step up too quickly. Coincidence, not. No Lockers we have our 2 worst consecutive defeats; 2012 no Lockers we lose badly. Forget coaches / eras. Lockers is the key to a good Wigan team.
.. ... But how can you say that. When we're losing he doesn't b*llock or shout at the players. He stands under the posts with his hands on his hips. :sly: :eusa18:
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Yes, well, we lost a game we might have won if things had been done differently. But they weren't and we lost, and this is the 137th comment on the fact. Some of the comments and emotions seem out of proportion to losing one game of rugby in a long season. Hopefully we'll learn from it and the new players (who didn't disgrace themselves at all) have had a real taste of being in first team.
So perhaps it's time we all got over it and moved on.
Stevethegas
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Lockers makes Wigan the team they are (at their best)
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/03/ ... haun-wane/

At least it gets the media tlaking about the game
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jobo

Post by jobo »

Mike wrote:http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/03/ ... haun-wane/

At least it gets the media tlaking about the game
Hadfield mentioning Wigan, something must have gone seriously wrong then. It's typical that he should write that the defensive skills of Lockers and Tommy were missing but then says Wane should have had Sam on the bench as his get out of jail card.:sly: :sly:
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Two game loss and hopefully the last.S.W as been slated for his selection policy (me included)a bad selection policy on the day.Now the anger in me as subsided and my rational head is in place.The rational head tells me that I along with many others called for Waney to be given a shot at coaching the team that runs deep within him.He's not committed a cardinal sin.He is a human being who like many of us makes mistakes and then hopefully decides not to make the same mistake again.I for one do believe in Shaun Wane and will continue to believe so until proven otherwise.Yes he did take a big risk in playing so many youngsters and underestimated the commitment shown by Widnes. He was and probably shall remain an arrogant man.Look at men of a similar nature ie Alex Ferguson,Brian Clough both of whom did not start careers on winning streaks but have both achieved much.I also believe that Wane will emerge victorious with time on his side.And no I do not believe that I am like an ostrich nor is my head in the clouds.Despite my earlier anger at what should in all honesty have been a golden cert win against the Vikings.I shall continue to support not only my team but also my coach.